Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flat Hunter

Paying a freelancer not resident in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2006

    Paying a freelancer not resident in Hong Kong

    Is it legal to pay someone to do 'work' for a Hong Kong based organisation, if that person is resident outside Hong Kong (in the UK) and is not a HK resident (ie no right to work in HK). The work could be seen as freelance work. There would probably be some form of contract. The person I have in mind is in my opinion the 'best person for the job', but I can see my HR objecting does because it not something that they usually do.

    If it is legal, how would people recommend going about paying that person? The value of the work would be around HK$50 000, and spread over up to 6 months. The money could be paid in one lump sum, or in several stages. The person does not have HK based bank account.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Yuen Long

    If they live and work outside of HK then no problem. Just put a contract in place were they will be providing your company a service. They then invoice your company for services provided. If your company accepts having to TT the funds abroad then no issue.

    drumbrake likes this.