Like Tree6Likes

All I want to do is WORK WORK WORK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you're opining with complete information. You are assuming that people who prefer to find jobs without networking are incapable of interacting with other human beings. That's a rather extreme and black-and-white view. I am an introvert, which means that people tire me (as opposed to extroverts, who become energized interacting with people), and I would prefer not to go to events to talk to complete strangers trying to get them to do a favor for me. What do you do when you receive a cold-call? I guess you buy from some and tell the rest to get lost? Personally, I've never bought a single product from a cold-call.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enlist the help of former coworkers and LinkedIn connections, but these are people I know, people who have helped me in the past, and people I have helped. Strictly speaking, I am networking, and I do not think that I am cheating. Like you said, pay it forward. On the other hand, when you say "it's not what you know, it's who you know", it does sound like cheating. In your work-life, how many times have you asked yourself or your co-workers "How the heck did that person get this job?" I know I've asked it a few times.

It is a common misconception that introverts are shy and bad communicators. Just because we choose not to doesn't mean we're bad at it. I was just complimented on it today after an interview. I got an offer a few hours later.

In the end, there are always different ways to do things. Networking is one way. It's probably the most widely and loudly touted, and that's fine. I'm just offering an alternative for those of us who might have a hard time networking.
    You've just set out how to network. Well done. Networking is NOT about cold-calling or asking complete strangers for a favour! It's about using people you KNOW and LIKE to connect you with people THEY know and like. In other words, helping the recruiter find someone for the job who someone else has said is good at it. These people do not need to be work colleagues - they can be friends, sports team mates, even online chatting interactions. I'm FAR more likely to hire someone for a job if someone I know says "you really should interview Fred, because I know he's a good bloke. Sure, I never worked with him, but he always turned up to soccer practise on time (reliable); he helped out the new guy who didn't know the ropes (can coach juniors) and he was great that time when we needed to raise money for the team to take the bus to Paris (capable of marketing)".

So all the going to functions is actually about making friends, who will then vouch for you. Not about cold calling. And that's why I often recommend things like Meetup for networking - because you meet a wider range of people, get to know them, and THEN you can ask for their help.

Good luck!

It's tough. I've been to a few "networking" events and found them to be almost like a competition of how many business cards you can collect, how many more connections you can add to your LinkedIn or Facebook (yes, been asked that).. it's almost like speed dating!

I have to agree - go out meet new people, make new friends, see if they have connections who they think can help you and fix up that resume (as suggested earlier). Because honestly, if I don't know you I wouldn't risk my own reputation to refer you.

Sent from my Z30 using GeoClicks mobile app