Like Tree38Likes

Working in Hong Kong without speaking Mandarin or Cantonese?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

This might be right but I think it is confusing. I just used the sounds I wrote and said them to my local colleagues and they said oh very good. I think according to the canton pinyin version, what you wrote is correct. But for westerns, the way we see the t z s ch etc makes this one difficult to read off the sheet.

Cantonese is such a difficult language to learn! It has so many tones. I know cantonese, but my tones are horrible. :P I always have the pronunciation written in my mind, and when i say it out its out, the tone is always incorrect.. no matter how many times my local friends teach me.. still can't get it right!

What? Miscommunication between cantonese native speakers??
    I never have that problem

If I "refused" to try and understand what most cantonese speakers are trying to communicate to me in conversation, when they mangle English to some terrible degree, we would have no communication at all. Its actually one of the reasons English is such a global language - you really can mangle it quite badly and still be comprehensible. Otherwise we would all be believing UK chinese restaurants sell a lot of flayed lice and other delicacies!

Just say: delay no more. All the Cantonese worth learning. Believe me they will understand that.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7