Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beanieskis

Job Advice: possible move to Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Job Advice: possible move to Hong Kong

Hi all,

Just wondering if I could get some advice for you re Hong Kong. My wife got a job in Singapore so I moved here on a Dependents Pass, which allows me to work. However they recently passed legislation here that employers must consider Singaporeans first for positions, and there must be a certain quota of Singaporeans in the workplace, so despite the fact that I can live and work here, I'm at a complete disadvantage.

We've decided to look at other options in case this continues much longer so are looking at jobs in HK. If one of us gets a job I understand the spouse can come as a dependent and work as per here in SG. I was wondering if there are any such "positive" discrimination employment initiatives in HK like what is happening here?

Also if one of us gets a job, the other would look at temping work while trying to find a career job. Are there any temping agencies for general admin work that you might recommend? I have checked some websites and many temping jobs also require Cantonese, so would there be one or 2 you could recommend that don't have such emphasis on Cantonese?

Thanks very much for your time

Dave

There are unofficial quotas of working visas vs people who already have the right to work here, and companies have to demonstrate they tried to recruit locally before sponsoring a visa. However, my understanding is that someone on a dependent visa counts as someone who already has the right to work here.

INXS likes this.

Thanks for your reply Beanieskis, I appreciate it.