Contract vs. full time rates in IT

Closed Thread

Contract vs. full time rates in IT

Hi All,

Is there a difference between compensation for contract vs. full time positions? I'm considering a contract, and rates in Canada are usually higher for contractors compared to full time positions. Is it the same in Hong Kong?

Thank you in advance.
    c.e.

Contract work in Canada, like the US, is very different to what is offered in HK. Contract work in HK is what they call Temp work. I believe the rates in IT for contract work is roughly equivalent to the rates for a permanent job in the UK. They should normally offer you annual leave and sick leave, but no medical insurance.

Hope that is of some use.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneHau:
    Contract work in Canada, like the US, is very different to what is offered in HK. Contract work in HK is what they call Temp work. I believe the rates in IT for contract work is roughly equivalent to the rates for a permanent job in the UK. They should normally offer you annual leave and sick leave, but no medical insurance.

Hope that is of some use.
    Thanks Ivonne, that's exactly what I was looking for.

no problems. i think its worthwhile to probably go permanent rather than temp if your planning to come and work in HK.

Actually, I'm already in Hong Kong, working full time, and considering a change.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by canexpat:
    Hi All,

Is there a difference between compensation for contract vs. full time positions? I'm considering a contract, and rates in Canada are usually higher for contractors compared to full time positions. Is it the same in Hong Kong?

Thank you in advance.
    c.e.
    Contract positions are not necessary to be higher paid in HK, due to some historical reason. After the financial storm and handover in 1997, HK government stopped recruiting civil servant and started employing T-Contract staff for IT position. Soon, other company also following this rules, which mades up lot of contracting employers. HK people cant stand aganist the situation until 2005/2006 due to SARS happened in 2003 and economics slow down. However, firms nowadays started recruiting perm position.