Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 3 Post By dak
  • 2 Post By HK_Katherine

Is it legal to work for free on HK employment visa?

Closed Thread

Is it legal to work for free on HK employment visa?

Hello All,

I am here on employment visa and I understand that I am not allowed to take paid work other than the company that is registered on my visa. However, do you know if I am also prohibited from working for FREE?

I am simply bored but I don't want to violate any HK laws. I am inquiring because most of my weekend is normally wasted on watching movies on my ipad so I want to do something productive. I am a computer science graduate and used to be a web/graphic designer. I am by no means an expert but it was something i really enjoyed doing and in some ways relaxing. Unfortunately, my current office job does not provide me with opportunities to express my creativity and sometimes I miss doing those things

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You would have to get permission from your current employer (sponsoring your employment visa) and the Director of Immigration.

wow that was quick.. thanks Claire..

..and if Grunt likes a post.. then it has to be true

oh well, i will probably have PR status soon anyway.. i guess i will just have to wait a little longer

Gruntfuttock, carang and cookie09 like this.

what Claire writes is also true of extra paid employment over and above your work for your sponsoring employer.

And true of voluntary (charity) work too. And ignored by pretty much everyone who helps out charities!

Who would know what you were doing?

scrambler and z754103 like this.

maybe you should work on some demo stuff in the meantime - reckon anyone who would think about askin u to help out is gonna want some samples first

it is illegal even work for free according to hong kong law,you can check it on Gov websites,o(︶︿︶)o

As Claire said, the law is pretty clear. What you need to do is weigh up the risk of (a) getting caught and (b) immigration prosecuting you. I think for unpaid work, or better yet, charity work, the risk of both (a) and (b) would be pretty low. It's something you need to decide for yourself though. Everyone has different tolerances to risk and as DeletedUser said, things aren't always black and white.