Graduate, wage question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Graduate, wage question

Hello guys, I wanted to ask a question about wage being proper for a person like me. So, originally I'm Russian, this June I'm graduating in Mainland China, my major is Chinese language and literature, my Mandarin is quite fluent, as I've been living there for almost four years. My English is very good too, close to being like my first language. I have some experience in freelance translating (from/to Russian/English/Mandarin), my target is to look for a job that requires Russian speaker. How much do you think I should state my expected salary?
    Would really appreciate your answers.

Range for graduate salaries in HK is very wide. I know graduates who started on 11k per month and graduates who started on 30k. The 30k ones are typically in banking; the 11k ones in accounting and you would fit somewhere in between.... targeting teens seems appropriate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Range for graduate salaries in HK is very wide. I know graduates who started on 11k per month and graduates who started on 30k. The 30k ones are typically in banking; the 11k ones in accounting and you would fit somewhere in between.... targeting teens seems appropriate to me.
    Thank you, the thing is that as graduate I don't have that much experience, but I still have language and some other skills, I was a bit scared that I'm asking for way to low salary, and was not sure will I be able to survive on this money.

Whether you can survive or not is frankly irrelevant. You are competing with other grads who CAN survive on 11k so if you ask for too much you will not get the job. The best bet is to find a job where you have exactly the right skills and things that other locals do not have (like Russian) are important. That gets you the least competition. Also - since you appear to be not from HK and didn't study here - you will need a visa I think. Have you looked at this? Visa's for new grads are pretty tough - you have to show that you have skills others in HK do not possess.

So I guess I was right about asking around 12k. Yes, that's why I'm targeting Russian required job, and yes I will need a visa. So for getting a I'm counting on my language skills the most, like both fluent Mandarin and native Russian.

You probably wouldn't get a visa for a 12k job.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    You probably wouldn't get a visa for a 12k job.
    Because of the locals?

Quote Originally Posted by clapsong:
    Because of the locals?

General Employment Policy (GEP)

Eligibility Criteria

Applicants who are not non-local graduates but possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in the HKSAR may apply to come to work under the GEP.
    An application for a visa/ entry permit to take up employment under the GEP may be favourably considered if:
    there is no security objection and no known record of serious crime in respect of the applicant;
    the applicant has a good education background, normally a first degree in the relevant field, but in special circumstances, good technical qualifications, proven professional abilities and/or relevant experience and achievements supported by documentary evidence may also be accepted;
    there is a genuine job vacancy;
    the applicant has a confirmed offer of employment and is employed in a job relevant to his academic qualifications or work experience that cannot be readily taken up by the local work force; and
    the remuneration package including income, accommodation, medical and other fringe benefits is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in the HKSAR.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...k.html#general

Mainly because the immigration department assumes that if you have skills that no local possesses you must be worth more than a local graduate. That's why I said it would be tough. A "rule of thumb" is that 20k is the minimum for a work visa. There ARE exceptions, but rare.

Why not get a few years experience somewhere else first?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Mainly because the immigration department assumes that if you have skills that no local possesses you must be worth more than a local graduate. That's why I said it would be tough. A "rule of thumb" is that 20k is the minimum for a work visa. There ARE exceptions, but rare.

Why not get a few years experience somewhere else first?
    Oh, now I see. I think I'll still be applying for Russian required jobs, but if I wouldn't get any, I won't have no other option than getting few years experience elsewhere.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast