Struggling to find a job.

Closed Thread

Struggling to find a job.

Hi All.

I am finally in Hong Kong but I am struggling to find a marketing related job.

I have sent my CV to recruitment agencies and applied for jobs through Jobsdb and SCMP.
    But no luck.

I can speak Cantonese fine but I am restricted due to not able to write Chinese and I have 5 years marketing experience.

I would be very grateful if someone can help me in landing a job.

Best Regards Hans

Last edited by h@ns; 22-07-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Hans - I'd suggest going to various associations / chambers of commerce / networking meetings too. Will get you face time with people that you will not get if you're sitting at home and submitting resumes by pushing buttons.

I'm in the same boat as you right now,native english, spoken canto but no read/write looking for Mar-comm type jobs, but what I did is just went online, and looked for jobs that I'm interested in, and basically called the recruiting agent that is listed with the job and asked to meet them instead. Generally, if you can get them to "like" you, then then are more able to get you with a client.

Also, I agree, go to networking events. There is one coming up with Oriented next thursday... oriented.com, and I believe there is one coming up with the britcham and intercham too.. Make generic business cards and get them out. I'm probably going to try to get one of them.

Feel free to PM me with anymore questions.

Yup agreed with kappasaphire

Get some generic cards done by going to print100.com who should charge you around $100 for 300 but if its your first time then you're looking at nearer $200 for the design and delivery.

On the cards put your contact details alongside a brief description of what you do.

And yes definately go to as many networking meets as you can and just basically get yourself known out there.

Last edited by jimbo; 22-07-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo

All good suggestions here about the value of networking as nothing outperforms a network when it comes to finding jobs.

The more you speak to people the closer you are to that job.

Volunteering - depending on your visa situation - is another good way to be active and meeting good contacts.

Thanks All

I must now sort out my business cards.

It seens that Oriented and British Chamber have both organised an event on the same day.

Any advice on which one I should go to.

Best Regards Hans

I'd choose BritCham over Oriented (too many people trying to sell you shit) if you were to ask me.

Oriented goes on longer... so do the BritCham event first and then move on if you want.

If you're going to get it done by print100 then try and do it this week so it'll definately be ready for you in time for the networking events as it usually takes a few days for the design to be finished and sent to the printers etc.

Or just walk down to one of the printers near Bonham Strand (Close to Wing On in Sheung Wan) and they'll get it done for you in hours...