Like Tree13Likes

hit me with a list of requirements...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

hit me with a list of requirements...

to landing a job that pays in the mere 30k-40k+ range.

I'd love to aim higher but I think that is somewhat reasonable for now.. given my current experiences according to myself. do not want to get too specific into background details on a public forum.

In a hypothetical role play situation, as an employer what requirements/background etc will you require for that salary range? (this was supposedly the median salary since moving back)..

currently a dealer at local firm. but dream/goal is buy side, s&t, hf etc. any ideas, practical advice would be appreciated!

is there not an edit function? anyway, should add current position should be more 'in line' with market making, and prop trading trainee (salaried and will be trading with firm funds etc). Currently, responsible for risk management (in a very general sense) as I am taking on risk on a per trade basis.

more info.. pursuing quant fin studies with target towards being a 'trader', ideally institutional/hf etc.

personality wise, always curious and passionate to learn new things so feel free to speak your mind as will take in as data/kind suggestions etc.

pretty down to earth kinda guy.. ;-) loves a good laugh.. haha. long walks on the beach etc... lol.

any feedback?

Cocaine is one hell of a drug.

usehername, Titus and small_island like this.

As an employer I'd see what you have in the background (technical training, tangible and intangible network and contacts) that would bring the company in 60-80k when I have to pay you 30-40k plus rent and other overheads. Think not of what your employer can pay you, but what you can contribute to your employer's bottom line LOL...

small_island likes this.

Hi and thanks, I think you make a good point.

Regarding technical skills, I am confident in my experiences in what I do (trader), and I know that I am good at what I do and need to do etc.

The firm I currently work for, although I say is a local investment firm, its more along the lines of our office/trade desk being located in HK but most of our clientele is from China. We specialize in trading metals, and FX. As a trader (soon to be prop), market maker/dealer, my responsibilities include providing liquidity to our clients while in the same time managing RISK for my firm, as I'm actively taking on risk on a per trade basis etc. For example, if the market drops rather quickly and our clients are looking to get out, exit their long positions, I MUST/HAVE to provide that liquidity and buy their exiting positions as the market is dropping and vice versa.

I am good at what I do as I am very passionate about being a trader, plus I have years of experience honing my craft etc. Although we are not a very big firm, (our company actually also owns and operates another sister investment firm), but we 'average' something like $1.5 - 2MM+ USD net gains from trading activities per month. As a matter of fact I personally handled a night where our net profit was around 500k USD. >>Night of flash crash in Comex gold futures; I built up a net short position somewhere in the ball park of 150-200 lots in another security as the market went into mayhem. Regardless after the fact, that night resulted in 500k USD net gains for my firm (best day of the month). But comparing that with my current base salary, I easily bring in/generate/save my firm etc 10-30+ times more in revenues/gains.. Although.. if things go well the end of year bonus "should" make up for things a bit, but then again its not a "guarantee" etc.

I've been a trader for a few years now, and all I do day in and day out is face/sit in front of a wall of monitors at work and another wall of monitors at home, so naturally I may be quite
    'rusty' in client facing roles or to new people whom I have just met etc. As for traders >> results and bottom line matter more than anything.

On the other hand, as a person, I may be a bit shy? at times.. or just slow to 'ease up' (maybe job related as stress levels are constantly through the roof so to speak) More or less I am a pretty genuine person (well I try my best to treat people how I want to be treated myself etc) and I tend to gravitate towards more genuine people that I can see/ sense the 'good' in them etc and can be good long term friends, down the road etc.

Just like my mind set (fairly entrepreneurial), I favor quality over quantity, in work, life, and in people etc. I am INTx, borderline "I" at 50-60 with the rest "E" and 50/50 on "T" and "P". Whatever that means, but in short there are times where I am pretty extroverted and social and then there are also times where I may just want some 'alone' time to get things done, recharge, work out, catch up on reading whatever. I do enjoy good company, good people and good times though. I'm not that 'old' (still in my 20's) but I am much less materialistic/plastic?.. or whatever than I was before/ previously.

Anyway, I'm quite unique...well just like everyone else. Creative, entrepreneurial, genuine, and trader. But when I switch modes into 'Trader', I become military/samurai warrior/ F-22 Raptor /predator and ready to battle the BEAST (the markets). Maybe that's why away from all that I prefer a more human touch to things and life etc. Because there's just no room for emotions etc in battle/war or work.. LOL..

Anyways, I'm EXHAUSTED for the week, and perhaps out of things to blabber about right now.. have a nice evening and take it easy, PEACE!

FTJ

PS: Happy mother's day as well... gotta think of something for my mama!!

Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by small_island:
    Hi and thanks, I think you make a good point.

Regarding technical skills, I am confident in my experiences in what I do (trader), and I know that I am good at what I do and need to do etc.

The firm I currently work for, although I say is a local investment firm, its more along the lines of our office/trade desk being located in HK but most of our clientele is from China. We specialize in trading metals, and FX. As a trader (soon to be prop), market maker/dealer, my responsibilities include providing liquidity to our clients while in the same time managing RISK for my firm, as I'm actively taking on risk on a per trade basis etc. For example, if the market drops rather quickly and our clients are looking to get out, exit their long positions, I MUST/HAVE to provide that liquidity and buy their exiting positions as the market is dropping and vice versa.

I am good at what I do as I am very passionate about being a trader, plus I have years of experience honing my craft etc. Although we are not a very big firm, (our company actually also owns and operates another sister investment firm), but we 'average' something like $1.5 - 2MM+ USD net gains from trading activities per month. As a matter of fact I personally handled a night where our net profit was around 500k USD. >>Night of flash crash in Comex gold futures; I built up a net short position somewhere in the ball park of 150-200 lots in another security as the market went into mayhem. Regardless after the fact, that night resulted in 500k USD net gains for my firm (best day of the month). But comparing that with my current base salary, I easily bring in/generate/save my firm etc 10-30+ times more in revenues/gains.. Although.. if things go well the end of year bonus "should" make up for things a bit, but then again its not a "guarantee" etc.

I've been a trader for a few years now, and all I do day in and day out is face/sit in front of a wall of monitors at work and another wall of monitors at home, so naturally I may be quite
    'rusty' in client facing roles or to new people whom I have just met etc. As for traders >> results and bottom line matter more than anything.

On the other hand, as a person, I may be a bit shy? at times.. or just slow to 'ease up' (maybe job related as stress levels are constantly through the roof so to speak) More or less I am a pretty genuine person (well I try my best to treat people how I want to be treated myself etc) and I tend to gravitate towards more genuine people that I can see/ sense the 'good' in them etc and can be good long term friends, down the road etc.

Just like my mind set (fairly entrepreneurial), I favor quality over quantity, in work, life, and in people etc. I am INTx, borderline "I" at 50-60 with the rest "E" and 50/50 on "T" and "P". Whatever that means, but in short there are times where I am pretty extroverted and social and then there are also times where I may just want some 'alone' time to get things done, recharge, work out, catch up on reading whatever. I do enjoy good company, good people and good times though. I'm not that 'old' (still in my 20's) but I am much less materialistic/plastic?.. or whatever than I was before/ previously.

Anyway, I'm quite unique...well just like everyone else. Creative, entrepreneurial, genuine, and trader. But when I switch modes into 'Trader', I become military/samurai warrior/ F-22 Raptor /predator and ready to battle the BEAST (the markets). Maybe that's why away from all that I prefer a more human touch to things and life etc. Because there's just no room for emotions etc in battle/war or work.. LOL..

Anyways, I'm EXHAUSTED for the week, and perhaps out of things to blabber about right now.. have a nice evening and take it easy, PEACE!

FTJ

PS: Happy mother's day as well... gotta think of something for my mama!!
    I was going to add that there's a catch when one evaluates how much money they're bringing in for their employer; it might start giving you ideas of running your own show. From what you said you seem like an expert in your field, maybe that's also a path you could consider.

It's because the posts are on hold~~~~

shri likes this.

Red face

I learned the Investment firm / brokerage business and may be recruited into a Prime Brokerage soon~~ It's a Boutique Investment Bank~~ Also CS for Private Banker~~ Or start my own Hedge Fund~~ Thinking $1-3 million USD to start the fund~~ 2/20 HF style~~ what you guys think~~?????

Last edited by small_island; 05-06-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by small_island:
    Or start my own Hedge Fund
    By trading Fx?

shri and jrkob like this.

Original Post Deleted
    thanks for the pm. Have updated the posts..... Newbies cannot post links.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast