I don't know how I should deal with difficult my American co-worker

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Unhappy I don't know how I should deal with difficult my American co-worker

He is loud and rude. Always complaining this and that. He even complains that other co-workers can't speak proper English when he can't write English properly himself.

I don't know how I should with work someone who is so ego-centric.

Is it an American thing or is it him only?

Quote Originally Posted by sauvignon88:
    He is loud and rude. Always complaining this and that. He even complains that other co-workers can't speak proper English
    Sounds like he's just frustrated. It can be interesting to watch sometimes.

Americans these days are usually more constructive than the Wall St aggressive image.

I always find stereotyping offensive..what is an american? Is he black? white? hispanic? asian? Catholic? protestant? born again? Jewish? Country bumpkin? city dweller? How can one ask or say if someone is one way or another because of his nationality? Personality has nothing to do with citizenship or ethnicity. If someone spits in the street, is it because he's chinese or because he lacks manners or education?

He is loud and rude. Always complaining this and that. He even complains that other co-workers can't speak proper English when he can't write English properly himself.

I don't know how I should with work someone who is so ego-centric.

u a frog? u dun shave ur arm pits? lets not generalize here

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

From today's paper

well actually from the 26th, but I only read it today

Signposts: confrontation
    Glynis Ferguson

During coaching sessions with clients, when asked what challenges they face, many talk at some point about having to deal with someone who is "angry" or "aggressive". My first question is, "How do you define angry or aggressive?" Some people use the words interchangeably. Others make a distinction by describing aggression as one person wanting to dominate another.

My next question is, "What is the challenge in dealing with someone who is angry or aggressive?" When we dig deeper, what the client often discovers is a fear of being vulnerable, hurt, rejected, abandoned or ultimately no longer loved by the other.

The most interesting question for me as a coach is my next: "How angry or aggressive do you allow yourself to be?" When my clients are willing to be honest, they become aware that what they dislike in others is often what they are unwilling to accept in themselves.

When Fran started working with me, she revealed that as a child she didn't feel safe when her father got angry with her mother. Not surprisingly, as an adult, she was afraid of anger and conflict. She rarely admitted she was angry and avoided dealing with angry people. She tried to hide her anxiety about confrontation. Yet her stored anger was having an effect on her body. She was exhausted and suffered from throat and bladder problems. She complained that her husband was selfish and aggressive, that their relationship was unequal. She was afraid to speak up because he "might get cross".

Instead she kept quiet, swallowing her anger and complaining to her friends. She felt trapped in a situation she had created through her fear of conflict. She had failed to assert her personal power, to stand firm and state what she wanted and needed.

I asked Fran to consider whether anger is there to guide you to be true to yourself and help you to have healthy relationships. She told me she valued honesty, so I asked how she could be emotionally honest without expressing all her feelings. And how then could she achieve intimacy? Could she replace the idea of confrontation as an opportunity to clarify? Avoiding challenging conversations with aggressive people holds us back from being true. It means we are not willing to take responsibility and clarify what is possible.

Fran was tired of living a lie and giving her power away. She decided to risk having a clarifying conversation. She used the following skills/tools to move forward:

* She chose to vent her anger. I offered a safe place for her to do that, to honour her feelings and release her pain. I listened without judgment and gave no advice.
    * In having the clarifying conversation with her husband, she committed to practise listening so that her husband would feel heard.
    * She agreed to be willing not to take anything personally, even if he had different views.
    * She chose to say what she thought, felt and needed - and to make open, clear statements, to be specific about requests rather than pussyfoot around the issue. Being specific helps to avoid being judgmental or disapproving.
    * She decided to ask how she could support him.
    * She was willing to love and respect herself, keep herself safe, by creating boundaries if necessary, remembering that there is never any reason to tolerate abuse whether it be emotional, verbal or physical. When someone dumps their toxic anger on us, there is no justification for this and we get to say we will not accept it.

The last skill I asked Fran to practise was compassion for herself and whoever she perceived to be angry or aggressive. She needed to be willing to see them as innocent, knowing that when people behave in an angry or aggressive way they are simply acting out in fear. Angry and aggressive people simply want love and acceptance.

We had a role-playing session. Fran tried out her clarifying conversation. When the real conversation happened, she was fearless, and the gift was connection.

Glynis Ferguson is a member of The Hong Kong International Coaching Community ([email protected]).

Ohhh brother!!! The things that we read

Advice: Wear earplugs/headphones.

I had similar problems with a Beijinger co-worker. She was annoying. I got headphones and got over it.

Sounds like Redwriter -- R.I.P. ---- now he can't post he must be finding other avenues to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto:
    Advice: Wear earplugs/headphones.

I had similar problems with a Beijinger co-worker. She was annoying. I got headphones and got over it.
    I had an annoying co-worker years ago who just went on and on. In the end I made a sign with "yes" on one side and "no" on the other and held it up at what I thought were the relevant points in her rants. Didn't work though, it seemed to make no difference to her whether I was actually listening to her or not.

My advice: just ignore the idiot and don't respond to him at all.

yes, americans want everything to go their way and if you don't complain nothing will change. but most americans are nice people and would think hk people are loud and rude too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast