to leave or not to leave.. thats the question

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    So why the f*** are you asking? You clearly want to stay put and seem merely to be seeking validation of a decision you have already made.
    this is the chinese way to do things.
    if the decision works out to be good then they get the credit. if it doesn't, guess where the fingers are pointing at.

Realitycheck,

i have been in a similar situation -my company they sent me to Cheung Sha Wan for 2 days training as an "incentive".

at the time i kinda felt bad about not being grateful enough-- and as a result I stayed with them & and haven't looked back since!-

you should do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    Realitycheck,

i have been in a similar situation -my company they sent me to Cheung Sha Wan for 2 days training as an "incentive".
    Ummm Cheung Sha Wan is not exactly a week in Europe though And its not as if it cost the company a lot of money.

...yes but it did make me feel important though ,

Bottom line is that you should do what's best for you... Business decision should be done on a cost/benefit decision.

If it's overall better for your career, you make the move. If not, you stay... It's got nothing to do with training week or not.

If the company is losing money, they won't be keeping you around because you're nice... The days of lifetime employment are pretty well long gone and that's a good thing. You grow and become better by moving, adapting, learning etc... not by staying in the same place for thirty years. Two to seven years at the very most and on to the next challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheck:
    Will u still leave your company for a better one (better salary) if the current company just send you to Europe for a week of training??

Keep in mind that im only a mid-level employee (not even a manager) and that training was not really necessary but is just a way to make me feel important.
    You have an interesting dilemma. Your next post after this mentions the possibility of harming your reputation and thus getting a good reference from them. I am making the assumption that your new job offer is subject to satisfactory references, one of which will be your current employer.

As much as a trip to Europe sounds enticing, you might be jeopardizing your chances for a decent reference when you get back and hand in your notice.

For me, I'd find that ethically I couldn't do something like that and I'd inform my company that I was leaving and let them reconsider my attendance at this training.

It sounds like you won't gain any benefit from it based on what you are saying. Are you sure your employer has no expectations that you will gain something of value from this trip???

What I am bit surprised about is how can there not be value in additional training and development. It may be just how you phrase it but any chance you have to learn new things, skills, information is always a positive benefit to you.

As others note, you might want to do the pluses and minuses for this new job and set aside the trip.

I am blown away that a company would send someone from HK to Europe to make them feel important! I am very new here so this is a huge surprise.
    Last edited by Football16; 31-07-2008 at 05:44 PM.

i missed one important point.

the other job is not confirm yet , they haven't said they will hire me yet.

so i guess the question is that: will u still go to the training if u know that if the other job accepted u , u will leave them after.The timing is just really bad, Training is in August and i will know the result from the other job in Sept. (one month after). In other word, "IF" they do hire me i will sent out my resignation letter almost a few weeks after i get back from the training.

Btw, i applied the other job before knowing i was going to be sent to the training..

sorry if i confused anyone, i just thought maybe it will be easier to understand if i put it in a different perspective.

Last edited by realitycheck; 31-07-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Well you are still an employee at your current company. Your employer offers you a training to europe, so just go to the training in europe. When you return you either stay at your current job or take the other (better) job. The training should not be any influence in your decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Bottom line is that you should do what's best for you... Business decision should be done on a cost/benefit.
    nicely phrased by gilleshk.

realitycheck:... trust your gut... and use common sense to figure it out to stay or move on. life is full of opportunities.

if i was you, I would probably stay. so many things we cannot control. use the european training to reconsider your upcoming decision.