Part time jobs? Teaching English?

Closed Thread

Part time jobs? Teaching English?

Now that my little one is almost two, I've been toying with the idea of going back to work. I'll have a dependent's visa through my husband. Are there any part time gigs out there that have flexible hours?

I'm considering teaching English. I'm a native English speaker, born and raised in California. I taught middle school for a year but that was ages ago. I probably need some brushing up on more complicated grammatical points but I'm decent on the basics. Would I need some sort of certificate to get started? Where would I start looking for a job? Do I just pass my resume around?

I'm also a college (psychology/biology @ UCB) & law school graduate (UC Hastings). I never bothered taking the bar in the states because my husband's company transfers him frequently. We've lived in 3 different states in the almost 4 years that we've been married. Does anyone know of any positions that would match up with my background? If not, I'll happily let my brain keep going to mush and possibly have more babies...

That would be a waste of your faculties Your grammar is pretty good. Some of the English teachers in HK need some serious remedial grammar work. Check out classifiedpost.com and Hong Kong Magazine for teaching positions. It might be worth getting a TEFL/TESL too. You can get a TEFL online.

Tutoring would be perfect for you. You can either go with organized services or look up international schools, they often make lists of private tutors for parents...