Like Tree2Likes

Work Visa has expired

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Nope, not in jail. I went down to immigration today and "confessed". It was a breeze. I just told them I forgot to renew it. They had me write a short letter explaining my situation. I gave them a copy of my e-ticket, (which I did voluntarily, they never really asked for it). The only problem was the long wait, which I expected anyway. They changed it to a visitor visa (which I requested) and extended it until the day I leave.

Thanks for all your help and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by sensrule:
    Nope, not in jail. I went down to immigration today and "confessed". It was a breeze. I just told them I forgot to renew it. They had me write a short letter explaining my situation. I gave them a copy of my e-ticket, (which I did voluntarily, they never really asked for it). The only problem was the long wait, which I expected anyway. They changed it to a visitor visa (which I requested) and extended it until the day I leave.

Thanks for all your help and comments.
    Really glad for you sensrule, pity their attitude seems to vary by race though.

Just as easy for me.

"Oh no problem, very easy to change. You have two weeks extended, than if you want to come back just go to Macau and return for a 90 day permit."

The exact words out of the immigration officer's mouth.

Nobody even looked at me twice. Not even a hint of a fine or anything. Other than the killer wait, no problems.

It is a shame if others have gotten into trouble for the exact same thing, but I can see it being a problem if you're more than just a day or two over. I wouldn't have expected it to be so easy if I had been here half a year and working for example.

how to make new thread. i realy need advice badly

hi good evening to all. hi my contract end this comming sept 2012 and my visa expired last oct 2011. the story is before i go back to my origin i have already my new passport with me. do im experting they give my remaining oneyr visa the day i back hk my carelessnes i no chick my passport after hk immigration officer at the airport i put direct to my bag then the nxt day i go to thiland for plessure bring the new passport agqin and the old passport i present it together to immigration officer its the samething ido after they give back to me put directly to my bag the same when i back here in hk i never look my passport i keep it in my drawer and last check it coz im planning to book my ticket for vacation leave then i see my expired visa and i tell to my boss already im afraid.

tommorow i will go to immigration. pls anyone give me advice.

go to immigration and apologise until you are blue in the face....there is no excuse for overstaying your visa by almost 9 months!

Did you actually apply for your work visa to be extended? It doesn't sound like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Did you actually apply for your work visa to be extended? It doesn't sound like you did.
    im a domistic helper most of the time we apply visa after the contract release and give one yrs visq then thiy will give the remaining one yr visa when helper take her vication before the 1yr visa end and when back to hk they put it complete journey and the another one yr visa. im almost 10yr here and when and its always happen they chop the remaining visa when i back from vacation to finish my contract at same employer. this is the firdt time i face the situation. thanks to quick reply i appreciet all advice. i learn ky lesson always check the passport after the immigration officer return it. god bless me. i will bring along my old passport contract hope it will help yo see them that im realy feel sorry for my carelessness

if you are a helper, then i strongly suggest you ask your employer to go with you.... immigration are not usually "forgiving" to FDH for overstaying their visas....you could be in a lot of trouble, so it would be better to have the employer there with you to speak to the immigration officer for you.