Like Tree6Likes

55000HKD per month enough for two in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

55000HKD per month enough for two in HK

Just want to know whether that amount is enough to eat out everyday at local shops. We plan to spend max 12000 on rent, leaving 18000 for eating and entertainment. We plan to save around 25000 HKD a month. Is this plan feasible? Is 12000 for rent for a furnished apartment feasible?

In short, yes, but the amount you spend on rent will very much depend on which location you choose. Furnished apartments are relatively harder to find - what's your definition of 'furnished'?

It also depends on a lot of factors such as what kind of entertainment do you enjoy, you mentioned eating at local places but how about going out / drinking etc? Frequenting western style bars and restaurants will quickly eat into your entertainment budget.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Where is your consideration for utilities, tax, clothing, transportation, health insurance etc, etc?

Titus likes this.

55k is more than enough but u also have to factor in two months rental deposit, holidays abroad and gadgets.

Dankleness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jezza:
    Just want to know whether that amount is enough to eat out everyday at local shops. We plan to spend max 12000 on rent, leaving 18000 for eating and entertainment. We plan to save around 25000 HKD a month. Is this plan feasible? Is 12000 for rent for a furnished apartment feasible?
    This subject has been done to death with salaries ranging from $12,000 to $150,000 a month.

Go over the archives here and your questions are answered.
    bibbju and Titus like this.

Thanks for your reply. I am talking about a minimum of a bed, fridge, stove, television, washing machine, dining table, basically the big stuff that needs to be transported in a truck. I have seen some in the 12000 mark, 10000 for studios

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    In short, yes, but the amount you spend on rent will very much depend on which location you choose. Furnished apartments are relatively harder to find - what's your definition of 'furnished'?

It also depends on a lot of factors such as what kind of entertainment do you enjoy, you mentioned eating at local places but how about going out / drinking etc? Frequenting western style bars and restaurants will quickly eat into your entertainment budget.

Yes you will be able to find furnished places in that price range but you will have to do a lot of ground work (i.e. what some landlords might advertise as furnished might not include all the items you mentioned OR they may be in very poor condition).

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Thanks for your reply. I am talking about a minimum of a bed, fridge, stove, television, washing machine, dining table, basically the big stuff that needs to be transported in a truck. I have seen some in the 12000 mark, 10000 for studios
    At that price, you will be lucky to find something with a washing machine, and the 'stove' will be a microwave oven and a separate hob (perhaps one-ring). Stoves are not de rigueur in Hong Kong kitchens.

Are there any expats in Tseung Kwan O or Shatin or Tseun Wan? Or are most of them living in HK Island and Kowloon?
    Do you know how the above named areas are like? From pictures they look likes working class area, but the rents are comparatively cheaper. Even then they fall in the 10000 to 13000 mark for a 400sqft 2 bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Yes you will be able to find furnished places in that price range but you will have to do a lot of ground work (i.e. what some landlords might advertise as furnished might not include all the items you mentioned OR they may be in very poor condition).

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Are there any expats in Tseung Kwan O or Shatin or Tseun Wan? Or are most of them living in HK Island and Kowloon?
    Expats live all over Hong Kong. In my time here, I've lived on the island, in Shatin, on Lantau, in Kowloon, in Kowloon Tong... just to name a few. Tastes and budgets vary as does where expats live.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast