Want to get some interviews? Which is a better plan?

Want to get some interviews? Which is a better plan?

I really want to move back to Hong Kong, and I want to get some interviews going. Which plan do you think is better?

1) I have a week vacation in November. Talk to recruiters in like 1 or 1 1/2 month advance over the phone. Try to get some interviews set up for the week that I'm in Hong Kong. When I arrive, just go to the interviews of some companies and meet up the recruiters in person to get to know each other. The only problem is I don't know whether I will get any interviews set up in advance. If not, I will just go to Hong Kong alone to meet up recruiters and friends. I don't know if it's worth my time meeting those recruiters.

2) Forget about going to Hong Kong in November. Try to get HK recruiters to get some phone interviews with companies. If it goes well, I will take 2 or 3 personal days and fly back to Hong Kong for a face to face. For example, leaving on Wednesday, arrive in HK on Thursday night, go to interview on Friday morning then leave on Saturday. The disadvantage is that it's costly. I can't be doing this every time they want to do a face-to-face.

3) Forget about 1 and 2. Find a new job in U.S., take a month off before starting a new job. Go to Hong Kong during that month and live in a serviced studio. Meet up recruiters and try to get some interviews going. If a month goes by, and I get nothing, just return to U.S. and start the new job.

I am the believer in the multi- approach - doing a split between 1 & 2 - this way you expand your options.

It's a bit tough to say...

First question: Have you got a Resident ID card - If not, companies will likely NOT want to sponsor you for a visa...also, do you speak any Cantonese or Mandarin (they can use it as a excuse at times for not offering you a job)

Second Question: Can you transfer with your company -- This is the best solution

You can of course come here and get interviews but with no HK residence ID card, you are unlikely to get a job unless you know a few people here that can get you in a company...

My advice is try to be transferred to HK from the US....look for a job in a company that has an office in HK and then after 2 years, request a transfer....

I came here following my husband, I have a working visa and even for me it's hard!

Yup, I have an HK ID card. Also, I'm fluent in Cantonese and can read Chinese! I can write too!

Then as you said...

Start contacting a few recruiters from the US in Mid-September and then tell them you're coming for a week or 2 in November...

You should have no problem finding a job! you have all the cards in your hand already

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by doctortt:
    Yup, I have an HK ID card. Also, I'm fluent in Cantonese and can read Chinese! I can write too!