Any major difference between a resume and a cv?

Closed Thread

Any major difference between a resume and a cv?

What is the main difference? Since I'm moving back to HK from the U.S., I want to speak the same *resume* language as people in HK.

The primary differences between a resume and a curriculum vitae (CV) are the length and what is included. A resume is a 1 or 2 page summary of your skills, experience and education. While a resume is brief and concise - no more than a page or two, a Curriculum Vitae is a longer (at least 2-pages).

A CV includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details.

Smile

Hi,

I would like to know, which resume style is acceptable for Hong Kong companies? U.K style or USA style? (I write my resume in English).
    Thanks.

I have always submitted the CV in Hong Kong - the 2 page summary of your past education and experience! Isn't a resume 1 page, US style? Also, I feel its hard to write so many things on 1 page as a resume.

Quote Originally Posted by keylogger:
    Hi,

I would like to know, which resume style is acceptable for Hong Kong companies? U.K style or USA style? (I write my resume in English).
    Thanks.
    keylogger, I would suggest CV style from my past experience.

However, I work for a company which is US-based....I am from the UK so I wrote a CV

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Jtangxx; 31-08-2008 at 11:09 AM.

As somebody who has a number of resumes/ CVs come across my desk each month (generally for professional positions), here is my two cents. I look at each resume/ CV that HR passes over to me for maybe 30 seconds. If it is longer than one page I may not look at the second at all if the first isn't anything special. If the applicant has less than 5 years of (relevant) experience I have never seen a resume/ CV that needed to be more than one page long. Focus on what is relevant. I don't care if you worked at pizza hut or wherever when you were in high school, but the number of resumes that list non-career related jobs, with full (exhaustive) details of what these jobs entailed (making dough, taking orders, folding boxes, etc.!) is amazing. If compelled to list all jobs you've ever had, keep the ones that are not related to what you do very brief. Oh and if there are any typos/misspellings its messy, etc., it basically goes in the bin (even if the education/ professional qualifications passed HR muster). While substance matters the most, presentation is also quite important.

Do we need to attach a photo in the CV/Resume in order to apply a position in Hong Kong (for both, International based and Hong Kong local company) ?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jtangxx:
    I have always submitted the CV in Hong Kong - the 2 page summary of your past education and experience! Isn't a resume 1 page, US style? Also, I feel its hard to write so many things on 1 page as a resume.
    A misconception among many people that a resume is 1 page - in previous times resumes were 1 page back in late 1980's about the mid-1990's 2-pages full front an back when printed - Your name is about 13 to 14 font followed then not less than 11.5 font size - no bigger than 12 for the description area. These days any additional information that may not be relevant to the position in which you are applying for is done in an addendum

the general suggested layout is:
    name
    contact details
    career objective
    qualifications (skills and abilities summary)
    Education
    Professional Experience (which also can include relevany volunteer work and / or project work but only if relevant to the role in which you are applying)

if space warrants: (or if you need a filler to utilize full two pages front and back)
    awards and accolades
    affilations (clubs & associations)
    international travel experience (only if 3 or more countries)
    ****these are just some but there are many more options *****

The very end to include and only if the advert asks for it -
    salary expectation: state a range
    availability date: eith can state a time period or exact day
    references given upon request (if asked to include references then 2 to 3 professional and personnel) on a third page.
    Fresh graduates in lieu of professional can use academic professors/teachers - be certain that you have the person's permission to use them as a reference

Quote Originally Posted by keylogger:
    Do we need to attach a photo in the CV/Resume in order to apply a position in Hong Kong (for both, International based and Hong Kong local company) ?
    Thanks
    No absolutely not. Although many people do include pics and even date of birth but by law in HK the company can not ask for it. However many still do get away with asking.

Hello_there mentions several good points to keep in mind,

1. relevant information for the position in which you are applying - so if you developed relevant skills sets while volunteering then this is much better than saying that you worked at pizza hut making pizza - or even the score you got on your examination.
    2. a format that readable and engages the for a minimum of 30 secs or more
    3. grammar and typos PROOFREAD PROOFREAD PROOFREAD
    Last edited by Alby; 01-09-2008 at 07:46 AM.