URGENT: Need advice for NET teaching job - contact of job agent needed

Exclamation URGENT: Need advice for NET teaching job - contact of job agent needed

Hi Everyone,

First, thank you in advance for coming to this post. This is my first post and I've just registered today.

I have a friend who is currently working in Guangzhou as a English teacher, but China is tightening visa restrictions and she is not optimistic of staying any beyond 2014, I would like to see if it's possible to find a NET job teaching English in HK.

She comes from Donetsk in Ukraine, her city is currently under a lot of political turmoil and her family had taken refuge in another city, but the job market there is very bad and her mother and 9-year old sister are running low on their savings, there is pressure since she really care about them

We have discussed things over and think her best chances is to find another teaching job in HK, Where should we start looking?

She speaks English, Russian, Ukrainian and basic Mandarin (she have been taking classes) She had experience teaching children from Kindergarten to part time weekend training centers (10-13 yr old), and she had won the champion for a school contest over the summer vacation where she trained a class to do a English singing & dancing performance in front of the parents. She connects really well with her students.

She is also open to other fields, perhaps a trading company that do business between Hong Kong/China and Russian speaking companies? My friend had an experience in that field too back in her country

Although she is teaching English, it's not her first language, will it seriously affect her chances?

I am a local here and had little experience in this field and is on my wit's end. It would be really helpful if I could get advice from someone here with the experience and in a NET job or any positions that might be open for her.

I know things are not optimistic since she need visa sponsorship and everything, but any help or advice would be most appreciated, my friend currents work on weekends and can com to HK for interviews on weekdays

Thank you for reading this post again, my friend's visa expires in 2014, things are really urgent.

Why doesn't she post her herself, since she reads and speaks English.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Why doesn't she post her herself, since she reads and speaks English.
    Thanks for the reply, her Notebook broke down over the weekend and internet is not very good at her place

You mention a bit about your friends experience which is useful but nothing about her qualifications or whether she has a university degree.

As a general rule, you need at least a degree and a TEFL qualification to get a visa (although there are exceptions of course). Now, her experience might make up for some of that but if she doesn't have either of those things then it will be tough to find 'legal' teaching work.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks