How is it like working with HK people?

Closed Thread

How is it like working with HK people?

How is it like working with HK people? are they rude? super workaholic? whatever? tell me anything that you can think of. Thanks.

From my experience in IB, very friendly, a little quiet, start a little later than in Europe and tend to work later.

Quote Originally Posted by doctortt:
    How is it like working with HK people? are they rude? super workaholic? whatever? tell me anything that you can think of. Thanks.

Depends on the industry but where I work they're fine and yes pretty quiet if they're your typical local local i.e no overseas education exposure etc.

Some are indeed workaholics when theres no real reason for them to be because they want to be seen to be hard working as its meant to give the boss a better perception of them, Frankly I see it as rubbish and if a member of my staff was seen to be working beyond say 8 p.m when there are not crucial deadlines etc to be made then I see it as a time management issue as they're not prioritising their workload.

The main issue for me is, as jimbo pointed out, that a lot of people feel it necessary to be seen sat at their desks all evening just to 'look good', bollox to that, im out at 6pm on the dot 95% of the time. My local colleagues make comments, albeit lighthearted ones, from time to time, but as far as I am concerned the joke is on them, they are working uneccessarily for free. Other than that they are fine to work with.

- oh and I also consider 6pm to be too late - I do miss the 8-4 i used to work

Last edited by DanielandHayley; 28-08-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Is it just my luck or are people really rude on the phone? Especially when they are not regular English speaker. Right, I speak English that made me a monster - thanks alot.

Last edited by girl-in-asia; 28-08-2008 at 12:02 PM.

It is correct. It really depends on the nature of business and also the company background. I worked in one america firm before. People used to work from 9 to 6pm, five days work only, not much overtime. But, I have friends working in logistics and merchandising industry. They have extremely crazy life, they always work till 8 or 9pm, and even a half day on Saturday.

Sometimes, people work late not because of workaholic. It is because of poor time management and not smart enough.
    They don't know how to negotiate with boss for more resources.

It is bad habit for ppl still stay late in the office even not much work to do and just pretend busy....

BTW, one thing is more obvious, for those people work late together, they are more friendly at each others, as they used to hangout after OT. )

As mentioned before, I think it's a cultural thing to work late, it doens't necessarily mean that work is being done...

Employees tend to not want to leave before their bosses regardless of the amount of work they have.

Perhaps no burning desire to go home to small overcrowded apartment comes into it too?

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    As mentioned before, I think it's a cultural thing to work late, it doens't necessarily mean that work is being done...

Employees tend to not want to leave before their bosses regardless of the amount of work they have.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    The main issue for me is, as jimbo pointed out, that a lot of people feel it necessary to be seen sat at their desks all evening just to 'look good', bollox to that, im out at 6pm on the dot 95% of the time. My local colleagues make comments, albeit lighthearted ones, from time to time, but as far as I am concerned the joke is on them, they are working uneccessarily for free. Other than that they are fine to work with.

- oh and I also consider 6pm to be too late - I do miss the 8-4 i used to work

Completely agree with all that.

I have times where I work around the clock, so whenever I can, I'll leave at 6. There's more to life than work.