Like Tree1Likes

visa fee if leaving a job

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

visa fee if leaving a job

Hey guys looking at info for a friend. he is quitting his job but they helped him get his visa. can they force him to pay up to $25000 if it is said in his contract. Also they said they wouldnt give him a reference and tell immigration he was a bad employee. How much of this can they do or are they scare tactics. cheers in advance for any replies.

Scare tactics
    Let me guess this is a teaching centre?

It costs HKD160 to get a visa. He's welcome to offer them that. Anything extra was their own (unnecessary) choice. Ring the Labour Department.

My job had similar terms. It said that if you leave within your first two years the employer can recover all costs to bring the employee to HK. Its just not the visa cost, its also the recruiter costs, flights over, first month's accommodation, etc.

I know one person who left within the first year and ended up having to pay back all those costs.

Don't know if such terms are still in the contract though, but it was definitely in mine.

My employer asks for a 5000 fee for visa costs and an extra 10,000 for training costs. This is to be paid if the contract is not completed. Any idea on what the 5,000 for visa costs would be?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleladyspeak:
    My employer asks for a 5000 fee for visa costs and an extra 10,000 for training costs. This is to be paid if the contract is not completed. Any idea on what the 5,000 for visa costs would be?
    The $5,000 for "visa costs" means you're getting royally screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The $5,000 for "visa costs" means you're getting royally screwed.
    Lovely. I assumed so, but naively hoped otherwise.

A visa actually costs 160 HKD.

Yup definitely 160 as i just went and renewed mine yesterday (accidentally overstayed for 11 days too)

wtbhotia likes this.

It depends on the company. It was going to cost my company $4k CAD if they went through their standard channel which involved lawyers to do visas. So I managed to convince them to do it myself and pay the $160.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast