Job Discrimination

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by tt2003:
    Chinese only discriminates Chinese, Indian.... But they or parents adore White. Please watch Bel Air TV Commercial, no Chinese, or other races, only White. White means classier status in Chinese world.
    Chinese discriminates Chinese or Indian. That is the biggest joke I have ever heard. They don't respect their race. I am Cambodian Canadian (even though it is quite complicated..), I am so proud to tell others my race and not try to make any excuse. Have you ever heard about "I am not Chinese, but I was born in Hong Kong"? I heard that a lot that joke and laughed many times..

yeah, I am chinese although i was not born in china, but I have been here for few years.

Chinese in China and HK adore white and discriminate their own race.......

But same goes to India also, .....

Back to the education, since there are quite some expats here....do you guys think local education system makes good out put?

i rarely see hk local ppl who can speak english well....after so many years of english education...

Yes, It's kind of sad to say that there are many HK people who cannot speak well English, so do I?

I think if environment is encouraging people to speak and use more in English, it would be much better? And, you know most of the English lesson in HK are focusing grammar rather than other areas, like speaking and listening..

I think what you are talking about ...may be just part of HK people, of couse, it wouldn't be all of them. I do believe that some local HK people are quite good in English

Quote Originally Posted by links:
    yeah, I am chinese although i was not born in china, but I have been here for few years.

Chinese in China and HK adore white and discriminate their own race.......

But same goes to India also, .....

Back to the education, since there are quite some expats here....do you guys think local education system makes good out put?

i rarely see hk local ppl who can speak english well....after so many years of english education...

I actually know of a lady here who is a 'local' and speaks english fluently (as she took most of her high schooling and all her university in Canada). She's in charge of an english training program here, and when she goes to the various places where her hires work she has to pretend not to understand any chinese at all and play up the CBC aspect to the max...

Quote Originally Posted by BananaIvan:
    I actually know of a lady here who is a 'local' and speaks english fluently (as she took most of her high schooling and all her university in Canada). She's in charge of an english training program here, and when she goes to the various places where her hires work she has to pretend not to understand any chinese at all and play up the CBC aspect to the max...

its sad that sometimes you have to pretend you dont understand mandarin in order to get people to "respect" you...I was thinking to speak mandarin or cantonese with the local people in work, but the fact is sometimes you will get better response of service when you pretend you dont know mandarin and speak only english...atleast the Gucci or LV sales rep will serve you better, ...any other experienced the same?

there are some local who speaks good english, but most of them are return from overseas university.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2