Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drumbrake

TESOL, NET and other relevant stuff

Closed Thread

TESOL, NET and other relevant stuff

It appears, after getting good advice on another thread, that the NET Scheme offers the most likely opportunity for me to teach English in HK. I'm 56 and working on my graduate TESOL certificate. I've been a newspaper reporter, editor and publisher since 1983 and spent two years in HK from 1977-79 (I know ... ancient history). I'm brushing up on my conversational Cantonese, which once was quite fluent. I have the opportunity to practice with a native Hong Konger who is my CFO.

If I understand it correctly, someone of my background with a TESOL graduate certificate might expect a monthly salary in the $US3,400 range, plus a housing allowance? Is this about right? What is the housing allowance? What is the length of the typical contract? What are the pros and cons? Do American ex-pats tend to live in certain places? Are there social opportunities for people like my wife, who would not be working and doesn't speak Chinese?

Details of the EdB NET scheme can be found here :

http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/curriculum-...net/index.html

I believe that unless your TESOL contains at least 100 contact / teaching hours then I believe you won't be eligible for even the lowest tier of the scheme.

It used to be that with a bachelor's degree, a TEFL / TESOL and some teaching experience you had a decent chance to get into the scheme. However, times have changed and now the competition to get in had increased significantly. You will be competing against teachers with proper teaching degrees and significant experience.

Nowadays with your qualifications you will be most likely looking at a position in a language centre / equivalent.

I stick to my original advise, come over with your wife for a short visit first.
    So you both can grasp the feeling of HK (again) before you make life changing plans.
    As for where expats live, there are some hubs all over the SAR (think DiscoBay/mid-levels). The rule of thumb is, the closer you are to Central, the less sqft you get for $$$.
    as for social oppertunities, it depends all on your wife. She can do volunteer work and meet new people both local as expat.
    Also as a journalist, you may want to join the FCC. Through that you both could expand your social network.
    last advise, maybe also an idea not to focus on becoming a teacher only. Already two people on geoexpat expressed they could use someone with your background. You have a lot of skills, why sell yourself short by limiting your search to teach jobs (NOT looking down at teachers JMBF )

Latest Volunteer Opportunities | HandsOn Hong Kong

The Foreign Correspondents' Club, Hong Kong | FCC

Getting a "graduate TESOL certificate" does not mean you will have the ability to teach a class of 30 teenage boys in a band 3 NT school. You also need to check any age limits.

chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome:
    last advise, maybe also an idea not to focus on becoming a teacher only. Already two people on geoexpat expressed they could use someone with your background. You have a lot of skills, why sell yourself short by limiting your search to teach jobs (NOT looking down at teachers JMBF )
    No offense taken and that's good advice! I do some editing / proofreading / copywriting work on the side myself.

As for your wife, it's up to her if she wants to have a blast here or not. If she comes here knowing she doesn't need or doesn't want to work, then, yes, I would think there's ample opportunity for her to enjoy herself. Like the other poster said, there's good opportunities to volunteer (if you want more suggestions with that let us know). There's also (*sigh* sorry, I sound like a broken record) meetup.com with all kinds of social groups she can join -- groups for art, coffee, kayaking, hiking, language exchanges, Chinese culture, exploring hidden wonders, etc. Many events are free. There's also the American Women's Association that organizes events (I found them terribly haughty and old fashioned, though... or was it some other American organization?).
    There's beaches, amazing marine life, gorgeous hills, interesting culture and history. You can learn Chinese (kind of!), learn about tea, learn to play mahjong, go on a walking tour with a historian, take cooking classes, etc. etc. So it's all up to her -- how much energy she has and how much she's willing to go out there and get involved -- I don't think her age matters at all!
    (Man, long gone are my carefree days of not working in Hong Kong )