Like Tree22Likes

How much I can save with X salary in Shenzhen or Honkong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question How much I can save with X salary in Shenzhen or Honkong?

HI ,
    I am from India and married man.
    I am considering to move to Shenzhen .I have browsed the forums and came to know lot of things.Thanks for the wonderful reply.
    Before moving I wanted to know on following things .
    (1) What are the medical insurance policy I will be entitled for.How much medical treatment for a sickness, eye testing,minor fever will cost.(no major medical problem by God's grace)
    (2) I live in Delhi(capital of India) and spent 22% of my salary on House Rent,33% on Investments , 10% on food( prefer to cook at home),20% on rest of the things and do 25% saving.I do investment to save TAX .I wanted to know what will be the percentage/ratio for the same in Shenzhen.Main point How can i save.My lifestyle is almost average and I will prefer to visit India twice a year.I aim to save as much as I can.
    (3) Taking a new born kid to Shenzhen?Any Visa/immigration issues.I will have a work Permit for 2+ years minimum.Can My wife also apply for Job in Shenzhen or Honkong.She is a Teacher in Govt School in India.
    (4) What is that which I and my family will not be entitled for?

Beside i have read about the food ,weather,Kids education and have no issues on that.
    Waiting for the reply and insight full-thoughts.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rp

wow lots of questions but where is your work going to be in, HK OR Shenzhen???

Don't mix up Hong Kong and SZ, they are two totally different legal jurisdictions, different visa requirements and tax systems for a start. Taxes are a lot higher on the Mainland.

How much putonghua do you speak? Because the general English standard is almost nil in SZ.

Medical insurance depends on employment terms, can't give you much comment. In SZ, medical standards at hospitals vary enormously but cheaper than private medicine in HK.

Rent can be cheap in SZ for descent standard - around RMB5k for 70 sq. mtrs. fully furnished or cheaper if you go for the older flats. The high class flats like Park Lane Manor which us HK luxury standard go for around RMB15-18k for 95 sq. mtrs. Supermarket foods are generally cheap.

Wife and kid, not sure, suspect its going to be extremely complicated because of the famed Mainland PRC bureaucracy.

Can't say much else without knowing where your employment is based.

Cho-man and Christyyow like this.

This is quite an interesting comparison:

Cost of Living Comparison Between Shenzhen, China And Hong Kong, Hong Kong

You can check information on different aspects such as cost of living / crime / healthcare etc etc.

Claire ex-ax and raulp like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Is your (potential) employer offering you a choice between the two cities?

my job will be in Shenzhen,But i read in forum that one option is to stay in HK and commute back and forth if you want to see Indian faces.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Don't mix up Hong Kong and SZ, they are two totally different legal jurisdictions, different visa requirements and tax systems for a start. Taxes are a lot higher on the Mainland.

How much putonghua do you speak? Because the general English standard is almost nil in SZ.

Medical insurance depends on employment terms, can't give you much comment. In SZ, medical standards at hospitals vary enormously but cheaper than private medicine in HK.

Rent can be cheap in SZ for descent standard - around RMB5k for 70 sq. mtrs. fully furnished or cheaper if you go for the older flats. The high class flats like Park Lane Manor which us HK luxury standard go for around RMB15-18k for 95 sq. mtrs. Supermarket foods are generally cheap.

Wife and kid, not sure, suspect its going to be extremely complicated because of the famed Mainland PRC bureaucracy.

Can't say much else without knowing where your employment is based.

That means I cant take my wife and Kid , neither they can Visit me.Please Clarify.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

For immigration purposes, Hong Kong and Shenzhen are two separate entities, with a border in between. Visas on one side of the border do not apply to the other. So a residency permit in Shenzhen does not permit you to live in Hong Kong. Therefore, you (wife/child) would need a visa to live in Hong Kong.You can cross the border as tourists, however ImmD may become suspicious if you cross frequently.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 28-01-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raulp:
    my job will be in Shenzhen,But i read in forum that one option is to stay in HK and commute back and forth if you want to see Indian faces.
    You cannot move to HK if your job/visa is for Shenzhen, just crossing the border daily, your passport will fill up very fast with visa chops from 2 countries X 2 daily thats 4 chops a day. Since you are not a tourist and doing this daily HK immigration will probably not even let you IN after a few days that you do this so dont bother even thinking of HK.

Quote Originally Posted by raulp:
    That means I cant take my wife and Kid , neither they can Visit me.Please Clarify.
    You can, but its going to be complicated and you need help with the Mainland procedures for your wife and kid - that I know nothing about.

Visas aside, it's going to be tough for your wife to adapt with the new language and new social contacts. I haven't seen many Indians in SZ, mainly Uigurs selling nuts and cane juice, although there may be an Indian/Pakistani community because I've seen the mosque in Lowu district.

As for medical care, personally, I wouldn't let those jokers anywhere near my kid unless if it was a serious situation - but that's just based on my prejudice of questionable reasonable grounds.

The daily commute from HK is a pain as you will have to go through border control and the travel expense of SZ to Central is HK$85 a day or at least HK$50 a day if you're going to live on the East Rail line.

HK is a better option for your wife and kid until school starts (then you'll have another big headache) but if you have a PRC work visa, I'm not sure how that affects their right to live in HK as your dependents.
    Cho-man likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast