Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By TheBrit
  • 1 Post By cookie09
  • 1 Post By monopanda
  • 1 Post By derryainsworth

Messed up my resume, now hired by current company and needs to contact my first employer as a reference that I have mentioned. Hong Kong.

Messed up my resume, now hired by current company and needs to contact my first employer as a reference that I have mentioned. Hong Kong.

So I passed my resume and got into the job here in Hong Kong. Now I'm 2 months into my 6 month probation. What I need to provide however are two satisfactory referees. My previous boss would surely have a couple of satisfactory comments about me, but its not going to be the same for my first one.

Not only did I not like how she would yell at me in front of our patients, her assistant was also making my stay difficult. To simply put things, I did not exactly have the best career life out of that, I failed to maintain any good relations I had left because I was just itching to get out of there. Now I am being asked to turn to her and use her as my referee since I mentioned her in my resume.

What I have also mentioned on my resume is that I have been working for her for three months, when I really have just started on the end of May and left at the end of June. And I have only realized I have typed in July just lately. Now the company that I've been working for might be thinking that i worked at least 3 months for her, when I really did not mean to type that out. (Desperate times back then, I was in a hurry to send out resumes so I could start a new job before I left my old one).

Now I'm even more worried about the other companies that have received my resume.

Before going into a panicked frenzy, I would really just like to point out if it would be fine for me to declare that I have made a mistake with that bit. Although I don't remember declare the length of time I worked in that clinic for, it must have probably been out of sheer anxiety that I have overlooked that bit.

Now here is what I need legal advice on:

Should I inform the company that I am working for now that I would like to declare that I have mistyped information on my resume and would like to have that cleared out before turning to my first employer to ask if she could be my reference?

Or should I just brace myself with the fact that I may not get the job simply because of what I've done?

Normally references are taken up before you start employment. Very unusual to see them checked two months after you have started. How is your relationship with your current employer?

I don't think worrying about a month difference is going to be here, nor there. As for the referee, I guess you just have to hope your current employer trusts their own judgement more than someone elses.

Dankleness, ray98 and monopanda like this.

I guess it is rather odd that they have waited for two months, but they are now keen on getting this information from me.

Well, looking back at the two months I've been working next to my boss, she only gets impatient when I make minor mistakes and so she corrects me. Next time around, when I do avoid making mistakes each interaction runs smoothly. In the absence of patients, I do try to make small talk and properly say goodbye to her every day before leaving. I have been informed that the decision of hiring me as a regular does not solely depend on my boss alone, there will be a meeting among the big bosses of the company.

I don't know what to get from that, but I have also overheard my boss and my senior mention about the imrprovement of my performance.

I still haven't passed the details of both my references, but I have one ready. As I have mentioned, I've only worked in the previous clinic from May 28 to the end of June, but in my resume I've written it down as May to July. And also the relationship between my first employer and myself has probably been ruined because of her assistant's strong dislike towards me. I worry that this might compromise my credibility, and affect my chances of passing my probationary period.

I was asked by my boss now as to why I did not stay in my first clinical job, I did not mention those bits but I did mention one of the many things that bothered me the most (cleaning toilets, which was never written down in my proposed contract). I have, however, mentioned to my senior the rest of the things when she did ask me the same question.

So... should I inform the company that I am working for now that I would like to declare that I have mistyped information on my resume and would like to have that cleared out before turning to my first employer to ask if she could be my reference?

Or should I just brace myself with the fact that I may not get the job simply because of what I've done?

don't correct your CV. one month is nothing in the grand scheme of things and if they hang you up on this one, then they were probably planning to ditch you anyway. also one can write july even if you had worked only until 1 july, so technically the difference between you actual situation (30 june) and reality (1 jul) could be one day only. again it's immaterial.

one thing i would say though is that you should be more forthcoming and transparent about your reasons. if you really dislike doing the toilet and this is a deal breaker for you, say so. if it is not a deal breaker but you don't like that the job duties were unreasonably changed afterwards, say so and explain what is a reasonable change vs an unreasonable change to you (job duties never change the same all the time, so there must be some reasonableness). say so if you had personal animosities with another employee. this can be easily explained ('sometimes you just click with people and unfortunately i was working with a fellow co-assistant who i really didn't get along with. it happens')

monopanda likes this.

Thank you guys for your advice.

I guess I should have been more transparent.

Should they ever bring that (proper input of months) issue to my attention I might as well just say

"oops, pardon me, I did not realize"

or if they should hear negative comments, I will explain the unfortunate relationship I had with a co-assistant.

I guess it is time for me to hand in the information of both references then. I will keep you guys posted

wtbhotia likes this.

Jesus chill out, sounds like you are over thinking this way too much. Accept, move on and learn to not exagerate on your cv

HK_Katherine likes this.

Sorry to be negative but imo it sounds like they are setting up for termination during probation period. Something in his/her performance has raised questions/alarm bells for them and now they are doing their due diligence. I'd be worried personally.

Well, as far as I am aware, I haven't done any grave mistakes. My senior and I get along pretty well, and she does explain on my behalf when I do have tiny slip ups at work. They just really haven't started on the reference check process.

And that is why I was worried. I was worried that they might and probably notice my work period for that previous clinic.

But either way, I still am aware that they might be looking for reasons to cut me off the list but surely I must have had done a very grave misdeed. After working here for a month, my senior has already told me quite a number of coworkers that got on her nerves, I asked her why they managed to stay longer if everyone complains about that one staff. She told me minor mistakes are not an issue, but major ones that have been done are a one-way ticket to getting fired.

And so far, I am quite confident I haven't done any major hiccups. Just that subtle misinformation on my resume...

So yeah...

Last edited by monopanda; 27-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Sorry I immediately assumed you had relocated from overseas, had got a work visa etc. Based on your post history seems like just a local hire so yeh, wouldn't be surprised if they are just slow in doing all the checks. I wouldn't sweat on the 1 month difference. Is there a different referee other than that 1 person?

Well yeah, my first employer's assistant, but she is the reason why that bridge has been burnt.

But I do have another referee, my previous boss. And we did get along quite well. I really have my fingers crossed that him being my reference would be more than enough to vouch for me here in my new job.