Taxes and Visa

Closed Thread

Taxes and Visa

I am leaving my current job due to a bad working environment. I plan on staying in Hong Kong to search for other employment. My current job is asking to see a new employment contract or a release letter from the tax department - taxes only to be applied if I am departing from Hong Kong, in order to receive my last pay check.

My question…will my work visa still be valid as I am leaving on my own accord. It should be okay until June. And, if I am to show a release letter from the tax department, to receive my last pay check, will the tax department then contact immigration to possibly cancel the visa.

I have received quite a bit of conflicting information.

Last edited by Littleladyspeak; 04-03-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Your visa will still be valid until june.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Your visa will still be valid until june.
    But you can't work for anyone else until you get a new visa

Tax and your visa are not related. In fact, your tax relationship with the Government is your private business and I would be very surprised if your company could lawfully without your salary on these grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by M Khan:
    Tax and your visa are not related. In fact, your tax relationship with the Government is your private business and I would be very surprised if your company could lawfully without your salary on these grounds.
    the company has the right to with hold the last salary incase the person runs off without paying the tax.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    the company has the right to with hold the last salary incase the person runs off without paying the tax.
    Well, you learn something new every day. I have never come across this before. I have changed employers a few times and none of them even hinted at trying to pull a stunt like this. Should be fairly easily resolved, though.

Well, you learn something new every day. I have never come across this before. I have changed employers a few times and none of them even hinted at trying to pull a stunt like this. Should be fairly easily resolved, though.
    Its mainly done or geared towards Work Visa holders because if they shoot off back to their own home country without paying tax then the company that was employing them has to pay it.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    It's for when the employee is leaving Hong Kong. If you are leaving for another job in Hong Kong, then it doesn't apply. More for short-stay expats breaking contracts.