Like Tree3Likes

Advice for HK NET chances

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice for HK NET chances

Hi all,

I am looking some advice about the HK NET programme.

I have an MA in TESOL and will do a PGCE in languages in the UK this September. I would ultimately like to get into the HK NET programme but know very well that it is very competitive, so I’m trying to improve my CV in preparation for that.

I have no current intentions of sticking around in the UK to get a few years’ home experience post PGCE in order to qualify for decent international school jobs as I’m eager to get to Asia soon, so my plan was to get the PGCE to use as a springboard for other things.

My question is what should I do in order to have a good chance of getting into the HK SNET scheme?

I have been thinking of the following options for after my PGCE:

1 JET programme from Japan for say 1-2 years then applying to NET

2 Public school job in Taiwan or maybe Korea

3 A language centre in Hong Kong itself, say teaching TOEFL/IELTS. I want to stress here I have zero inclination for teaching children, so that is out, haha. I don’t mind say 12+ but no younger. I say this because I know there are lots of jobs for that age group.

4 I saw there are “DSS” schools in HK but don’t quite understand. Can I apply for them directly outside of NET? Kind of like the NET programme without the benefits? I wouldn’t mind at all if the salary was lower than NET then as I gain experience in teaching in HK I could apply for NET at a later date.

Any recommendations? Although option 3 is not teaching in secondary schools I wondered would “local” experience be more valued than experience outside of HK. Also, I wasn’t sure how JET was valued by Hong Kong schools, given that in some cases many go and do it just for a gap year before going back to their home country for a ‘real’ job.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by elmaldito; 08-06-2015 at 10:40 PM.

There are a few options here if you don't want to teach younger kids but you are right that it limits the possibilities somewhat. There are a few centres which focus more on adult education (think Berlitz) which you can check out.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    There are a few options here if you don't want to teach younger kids but you are right that it limits the possibilities somewhat. There are a few centres which focus more on adult education (think Berlitz) which you can check out.

Thanks a lot jmbf. Any opinions on which of my ideas seems the better option?

I did something like this in the U.K. for a year or so. (I volunteered!)

Tips: teaching English to migrants and refugees in the UK | British Council

Your local authority will guide you on what's available in your area. That will fulfil:

(iv) at least 1 year’s post-graduate experience of teaching English (preferably as a second or foreign language) at secondary level or above.

Once you have your PGCE, just apply...I reckon you have a very strong chance of success...

I hear the money's decent out in the Middle East.

Hi Enderman,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I did actually teach refugees in the UK for almost 2 years as a volunteer but it was only a few hours a week and that was before graduating. I remember at the time I had no idea what I was doing!

Just to add I am working in a French uni at present teaching English, but only part-time and was also working a few hours in a secondary school here part-time.

Jmbf, no desire for the ME, thanks. Money isn't my major objective

No harm in doing what you love but getting paid well for it

Back to the question, I guess it comes down to your personal preference between Korea / Japan / Taiwan. All have quite different cultures. I think the quality of the institute where you choose to work trumps just the location.

Having said that I might wait a bit with Korea and see how this MERS situation develops.

Regarding ME, of course money is always nice but culturally I have no desire going there. It seems to me if it weren't for the money hardly anyone would go there to teach, which says it all really!

Out of Japan/SK/Taiwan, I'd probably prefer Japan (the country itself) as I already speak some of the language (not that much mind) but wasn't sure as JET does seem like it could be a bit hit and miss as to the actual teaching experience: possibility of being a mere human tape recorder; i.e. not so good for professional development. So, I guess my real question is not which of the places is best per se, but in relation to the HK net programme.

Quote Originally Posted by elmaldito:
    Regarding ME, of course money is always nice but culturally I have no desire going there. It seems to me if it weren't for the money hardly anyone would go there to teach, which says it all really!

Out of Japan/SK/Taiwan, I'd probably prefer Japan (the country itself) as I already speak some of the language (not that much mind) but wasn't sure as JET does seem like it could be a bit hit and miss as to the actual teaching experience: possibility of being a mere human tape recorder; i.e. not so good for professional development. So, I guess my real question is not which of the places is best per se, but in relation to the HK net programme.
    I like your attitude Elmaldito...

I think Japan would be a perfect fit for you, it wont be so money oriented like HK is etc. Lets face it, Japan is a pretty interesting place and there are A LOT MORE things you can do in your free time there ( compared to HK ) without being bordered within a 1000km2.area. It's also MUCH MUCH cleaner, neat, tidy and orderly. The quality of housing blows HK away, the non Japanese food is also, WAY better ( in my opinion ) as is customer service, Asia's benchmark in many respects regarding overall quality of life. I'm a big fan of Japan, cant you tell. I think you would have an absolute blast in Tokyo , I always did and still do ! I also love the extreme wackiness of the Japanese .. Lots of fun !

Trust me, Japan is the more interesting option you have, you wont regret it. I never liked S Korea much ( YAWN ) and Taiwan, again, just didn't float my boat, although the food and coffee was very good in TPE, I will grant it that. I wouldn't want to live there though.

Check these out also, you might find them useful.....
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJapanChannelDcom
    The Japan Channel - Forum List - Japan Forum

Last edited by Skyhook; 09-06-2015 at 02:13 AM.
    palaver likes this.

Thanks a lot for the info and opinion Skyhook!

Yeah, you are right, Japan does seem a lot cleaner, with less pollution, more orderly etc, but when we talk about a decent job/career, Japan is not good long term (which is why I just wanted to try it for a few years for the "Japan experience"). What struck me was on one forum some guy with years of experience in Japan speaking the language quite well and married to a native had 4 part-time jobs! 4! What kind of life is that when you're getting on in life? HK on the other hand, in particular the NET programme seems very attractive and better for a career - if you can't get in of course! They say the salary in Japan for TEFL has been the same for God knows how many years (over a decade?), so I don't think it's a good country for the long haul, better for an annual vacation maybe But yes, of course I'd love to try it for a few years. As I say I'm not obsessed by money but I don't think you can support a family on the typical Japanese TEFL salary!

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast