Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Proplus

finding a fashion job in HK

Closed Thread

Post finding a fashion job in HK

Hi everyone,

My husband got an offer from a good company in HK and we moved here 3 months ago, only after our honeymoon.

I am looking for a job in fashion industry, as a buyer or merchandiser.

Its not been easy so far, even I am a FIT, New York graduate- well recognized university for fashion - and have 5 years of experience.

Is it difficult to find a job here as an expat and if you don't speak Chinese?

I appreciate if you have any suggestions for job hunting, or anything related that would work to find a position.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by shri; 24-06-2015 at 11:26 AM.

csse - might want to check what browser add-ons you're using. Your post got moderated for dodgy links that automatically got added to your content.

As far as jobs are concerned, there are several expats in this industry who works for larger multinationals - Zara, Tesco etc and also large sourcing outfits like Li&Fung - these guys were hiring aggressively a year or two ago in New York - forget which university.

Check with alumni relations if they may be able to get some contacts for you?

Last edited by shri; 24-06-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Unless you get into the large multinational companies, as a buyer or merchandiser here in HK you're looking at working very very long hours, and the salary will no way reflect this.

shri likes this.

Further to what Proplus said you will also probably have to visit the Mainland factories to check shipments, quality etc. One of my friends worked for a leather company as a merchandiser. Even though she checked the leather when delivered to the factory. What the factory actually used, and tried to deliver the finished products with, was different.