Like Tree80Likes

why do you wanna work in Hk?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I'm a Brit and some of my best friends here are american
    And am the queen of england..c mon Trebor

I would have thought making friends in a place like Hong Kong would be quite easy given that a lot of people are in the same situation as yourself. I agree maybe making friends with locals might be a challenge due to language and culture differences, but making friends with other expats should be fairly easy, even if you are not that outgoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    And am the queen of england..c mon Trebor

You're right, they're a bunch of idiots.
    Mat likes this.

why do you wanna work in Hk?
    Too stupid to find a job elsewhere

Original Post Deleted
    Respectfully, this may be true for higher earning expats. But for many of those in lower paying professions or those just starting out in their careers, I wouldn't define HK as a 'cushy expat posting'. Indeed HK can be quite challenging / difficult to live in on a tight budget. Take a look through some of the 'frugal living' threads for specific examples.
    Cho-man, chingleutsch and Mat like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Hong Kong is "expat lite". Even back in the 80s when I arrived, it wasn't tough; not as easy as it is now, but not tough.

Original Post Deleted
    Still doesn't automatically make HK a cushy expat posting for everyone. Just trying to add some perspective.
    Cho-man likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    You're welcome.

If there is any further doubt, try talking to anybody earning less than 15 - 20K per month. Between the tiny box-like flats, large number of working hours, crowded conditions, general lack of disposable income and other issues, HK looks less and less like a cushy posting.
    Last edited by jmbf; 19-08-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    Cho-man and Mrs. Jones like this.

Original Post Deleted
    No it's not the same as everywhere else. Your money goes a lot further in many other places. Low earners in say Thailand, Vietnam or China don't have the same high costs of living and hence their lifestyles aren't quite so restricted.

Original Post Deleted
    i have to say: when ur broke it doesn't matter where u r in the world. Broke Is broke. Sleeping under the bridge here or there (mostly) the same.

But back in Amsterdam I earned 1700 euro after tax for 32 hours a week. That's a nice average income, that paid for rent, food utilities and even some moderate savings.
    I could not live on 1700 euro in HK!