Like Tree40Likes

No such thing as work-life balance in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

That's right, I have more life than work.

Last edited by Morrison; 28-10-2015 at 09:59 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Well, it depends on the industry that you work in. If you love your job, then it isn't necessarily work. If you don't love your job, then why are you in that industry. I find the work hours here much less than that of the states or in Europe.

The 6 hour workday in Sweden is not very accurate, most companies are at 8 hour, or 7.5 hour days. The article is insinuating that all Swedes are moving to 6h days, not true. But we do have between around 25-30 holidays per year (not counting public holidays or weekends) and 16 months shared maternity/paternity leave.

/Rob out of Sweden

Elegiaque and Skyhook like this.

So I have asked myself: why is it like that. And my conclusion is,people who have much, much more money
    influence decision makers to not tax certain types of income, most (in)famously capital gains.
    So I am profiting from their lobbying.

Last edited by Morrison; 29-10-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Over 60 per cent of workers in Hong Kong feel work-life balance has worsened in the last 10 years, according to a recent survey.With respect to the perceived value of work-life balance, the survey found that of respondents who felt it was not valued, 36 per cent worked for mainland Chinese companies and 32 per cent for local companies.In contrast, only 19 per cent of respondents employed by international companies felt their employers did not value work-life balance.
    Ngai said the discrepancy reflected different working cultures.
    Most local companies are SMEs and employ majority of the workforce. They do not have the diversification that international companies have - geographies, revenue streams etc. They also do not have the sophistication and homogenised policies of international companies.

In turn the international companies use these local companies however they wish ... "we need this by tomorrow morning, we need a 82% discount else we'll find someone else to do this. And no, we don't care how you do it, as long as you follow our supplier agreement which says you will not use prisoners and child labours".

Just saying .... consider how commerce flows in this city and figure out who is getting screwed - the smaller businesses at the bottom of the food chain, who employ the local workforce.

Yes, there are plenty of white collared employees in biggish companies who are getting the shaft, BUT ... who is really responsible for creating the workloads? The owners of that company (who if they say "no" might loose business) or the entities higher up in the food chain.

People point to Sweden. I'd like to hear from IKEA suppliers how hard they drive down prices (I don't know, perhaps they're caring buyers and all ... but I'd speculate they put the screws on their suppliers...).
    MandM! and Elegiaque like this.

Plastic screws. They can't afford metal ones that last.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Most local companies are SMEs and employ majority of the workforce. They do not have the diversification that international companies have - geographies, revenue streams etc. They also do not have the sophistication and homogenised policies of international companies.

In turn the international companies use these local companies however they wish ... "we need this by tomorrow morning, we need a 82% discount else we'll find someone else to do this. And no, we don't care how you do it, as long as you follow our supplier agreement which says you will not use prisoners and child labours".

Just saying .... consider how commerce flows in this city and figure out who is getting screwed - the smaller businesses at the bottom of the food chain, who employ the local workforce.

Yes, there are plenty of white collared employees in biggish companies who are getting the shaft, BUT ... who is really responsible for creating the workloads? The owners of that company (who if they say "no" might loose business) or the entities higher up in the food chain.

People point to Sweden. I'd like to hear from IKEA suppliers how hard they drive down prices (I don't know, perhaps they're caring buyers and all ... but I'd speculate they put the screws on their suppliers...).
    So in other words, that is just how life works eh? Suck it up or quit.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

I remember once a Swedish family that was staying at this resort in Malaysia at the same time as us. Both parents were senior managers with IKEA... I kind of wanted to bring up this point with them and IKEA's sustainability. I didn't... life's regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    So, let me ask you, do you have work-life balance in HK? If not, why not? If so, why?
    I don't have a great balance, but it's partly because I think work should be life and vice versa. I don't buy into this whole idea that we are slaves to our stuff and money, and yes, I'm very privilege to be able to say and live by this, but it drives me to do things I find meaningful and enjoy. In Hong Kong there has just been too many opportunities and chances to do things. I've been given a lot of opportunities that fit that profile of work for life, and I see a lot of things I want to help improve and change... if I lived in Europe, I would feel I wouldn't have very much to contribute, but here, to me, there's just so much to do. And yes, I constantly tell myself I have to cut back, get back my weekends, etc. I hope to soon.
    Cho-man and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I don't have a great balance, but it's partly because I think work should be life and vice versa. I don't buy into this whole idea that we are slaves to our stuff and money, and yes, I'm very privilege to be able to say and live by this, but it drives me to do things I find meaningful and enjoy. In Hong Kong there has just been too many opportunities and chances to do things. I've been given a lot of opportunities that fit that profile of work for life, and I see a lot of things I want to help improve and change... if I lived in Europe, I would feel I wouldn't have very much to contribute, but here, to me, there's just so much to do. And yes, I constantly tell myself I have to cut back, get back my weekends, etc. I hope to soon.
    I'm glad you enjoy your job so much, and yeah, you are in a fortunate position to be able to say that.

Sadly, I suspect most locals aren't in your position. They are treated like dogshit by their employers, even if they started out liking their job, they won't like it for long once they get shafted like all the other employees. I was once told that most locals don't even put "job satisfaction" as a criteria to consider at all, they just do their jobs to put food on the table or simply because it earns more money. They say in HK, they can't afford the luxury to pursue a job they like, they have to be pragmatic and realistic.

Rather sad I think, but who can blame them? With the sky high housing cost and the mega bucks needed to raise a kid in this city, most are forced to do what can allow them to make ends meet, not what can make them happy.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 29-10-2015 at 10:33 AM.