Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaykay
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

visa renewal rejected?

Closed Thread

visa renewal rejected?

On searching many posts I can see many rejected visa applications for first time applying but no one having stated their visa renewal application being rejected.
    I wonder is this possible and in what cases might the imm department reject a renewal of employment visa?

I understand that renewal visas will be granted as long as the applicant's 'circumstances remain unchanged', so this just means they continuing with their same employer? If a visa renewal is rejected what would that mean - immediate return to visitor status, id card no longer in use, housing contract invalid (i.e. cannot be renting a flat in HK?).

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Your housing contract is still valid. If you don't have a visa, you are still legally obligated to pay (or if you leave, in reality, to forfeit your 2 month deposit).

Visa renewal with the same employer is typically a given. Granted that you submit the proper documents and your contract dates are correct.

If you are rejected, which is possible, such as changing to another company, where the company has not supplied sufficient documents or you do not fulfill the requirements of a visa, such as minimum salary, job title, a position which can not be filled locally, etc.

If rejected, your visa remains valid until the last day on your current visa. You need to leave Hong Kong on or before that date and re-enter under a tourist visa. You can keep your ID card forever I believe, but technically the health benefits should expire, but in reality I'm not sure how much they check this.

I believe you need to inform immigration that you want a tourist visa. I'm not sure though if they can give you a tourist visa on request when you have a valid employment visa (do you have to enter after the expiry of the employment visa?). Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    but technically the health benefits should expire, but in reality I'm not sure how much they check this.
    Registration counters in GOVT hospitals has access to immigration database where they can check if ID card is still valid or not.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Registration counters in GOVT hospitals has access to immigration database where they can check if ID card is still valid or not.
    But it is a separate step? I thought I read in another post that sometimes they didn't check.

We did have one person we we're given a visa for and then immigration refused a renewal on the grounds they made a mistake issuing one the first time.

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    But it is a separate step? I thought I read in another post that sometimes they didn't check.
    Most likely will check on foreigners but as you say, yes its up to the girl at the counter to check or not. Sometimes they wont
    MandM! likes this.

Thanks for all replies.
    interesting to note about the validity at hospitals.
    I suspect if employment docs are in order there's no reason the imm dep wouldn't renew.

how about if charged with a minor/serious crime? That's another reason I can think of.

Yes, if you have a crime attached to your HKID card number then they will do an investigation which could delay your visa by several months. Even if it is minor, it goes by whether it is listed on your criminal record or not so even penalties of some nature will show up there.