Like Tree20Likes

The "McSleeper" phenomenon

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    Weird we saw donations of (gourmet) food and water and medical aid for another event but no one has batted an eye on these people. I've always been silently disgusted by weekend fair weather activists but I guess humans all want to only contribute to things they see will benefit themselves with the least amount of effort/sacrifice. How many people even give to beggars any more? Buy these guys a McD meal? And how many of the same people claim they are a beacon of morality fighting against social injustice with words and taking million dollar donations and free gourmet burgers donated to ease their stomach grumbling? The sick thing is how when I was a kid my grandpa taught me to give to beggars at the MTR steps and now parents are teaching kids that all beggars are thieves out to scam you. HK hasn't turned this way because of external factors that people these days love to blame on, it's become this way because all of us has stopped looking to each other and acting responsibly and living with honour. People's dignity is so cheap these days I see people cheat and lie for something that's worth a few HKD. This makes the people who refuse to cheat and lie be disadvantaged in the game like some of the McD dwellers
    I applaud & agree with your overall message, but giving to beggers in Hong Kong is not the best way forward. Unfortunately, many of the beggers are placed there by greedy arseholes & the more people give, the more these greedy arseholes thrive.

Better off donating your time & money to a reputable organization like home of loving faithfulness or St Johns cathedral
    Natfixit, Titus and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    Weird we saw donations of (gourmet) food and water and medical aid for another event but no one has batted an eye on these people. I've always been silently disgusted by weekend fair weather activists but I guess humans all want to only contribute to things they see will benefit themselves with the least amount of effort/sacrifice. How many people even give to beggars any more? Buy these guys a McD meal? And how many of the same people claim they are a beacon of morality fighting against social injustice with words and taking million dollar donations and free gourmet burgers donated to ease their stomach grumbling? The sick thing is how when I was a kid my grandpa taught me to give to beggars at the MTR steps and now parents are teaching kids that all beggars are thieves out to scam you. HK hasn't turned this way because of external factors that people these days love to blame on, it's become this way because all of us has stopped looking to each other and acting responsibly and living with honour. People's dignity is so cheap these days I see people cheat and lie for something that's worth a few HKD. This makes the people who refuse to cheat and lie be disadvantaged in the game like some of the McD dwellers
    Its easy to ignore some people when they are...invisible to us. Like these Mcsleepers. They are easy to ignore. Its like we can almost pretend they don't exist...

Some random comments...

- I've never seen these people in McDs, but admittedly I think the latest time that I've been inside a McD has been like 9 PM. Or maybe I'm not going to the right McDs.

- Logically, these people must've had a home at some point in time else what would they put down whenever registering for a new service like a bank account, wireless line or job.

- Where are these people storing their personal belongings if they're sleeping in a McD at night? Where are their clothes, toiletries and other personal items? How do they shower? I could understand if these people are unemployed, but if they have jobs then wouldn't their co-workers notice that something is amiss?

- It seems that McD doesn't care. If it doesn't affect their business then it's probably not a concern for them then. If McD is willing to turn a blind eye to provide a warm, safe environment and customers don't mind then good for them.

- Kudos to the people who can fall asleep in such an uncomfortable position. I wish I could do the same on flights.

Under the leadership of caring Carrie Lam it is getting worse

Hong Kong’s McSleeper trend rises 50 per cent in three years, as NGO highlights vulnerability of women in the group | South China Morning Post

It says a lot about a government when a fast food chain shows more compassion.

GeoTommy, UK/HKboy, Gatts and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Under the leadership of caring Carrie Lam it is getting worse

Hong Kong’s McSleeper trend rises 50 per cent in three years, as NGO highlights vulnerability of women in the group | South China Morning Post

It says a lot about a government when a fast food chain shows more compassion.
    And reading some of the comments on that SCMP article shows a distinct lack of compassion and understanding from members of the public. But i am not surprised there are those who look down at others and treat others accordingly.

This isn't isolated to Hong Kong.

Not so long I remember a podcast about some published research done on the different communities that built up around McDonald's restaurants in the USA. They'd discovered that restaurants are quite often used as sanctuaries among those who have nowhere else to go. Restaurants are safe, staff are non-judgmental - so for different communities it suited the homeless, recovering drug addicts, religious groups and so on. McD's seems to have an unstated policy of not turfing out people who need the space.

It was a fully published piece of research. The article below has a precis of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ocial-networks

Natfixit and civil_servant like this.