Opening a UK Based Stock Trading Account as an Brit Expat

Closed Thread

Opening a UK Based Stock Trading Account as an Brit Expat

HI all,

As the subject implies, has anyone had success with opening a UK based stockbroker account whilst abroad? I'm a UK domiciled / non-resident expat and see there are many options to open a UK based account online. However, I've read that due to anti money laundering laws, such applications usually get declined or the account gets shutdown within months, once they find out you are non-resident.

Does anyone have any knowledge / experience with this? Much appreciated!

Why not open a HK based account that can trade in UK stocks? I can't specifically answer your question, but in my case I wanted to trade in Canadian stocks with Canadian currency, so I opened an account with Interactive Brokers Hong Kong. From this account I can buy equities on several markets including Canada, and most importantly my money is out of Canada where it would be taxed as a non-resident.

I have an account with Interactive in HK, and with ThinkorSwim/Ameritrade in the USA, neither were a problem to set up, just plenty of paperwork.

I have many of these. I just use a local address - parents in the UK; in-law in Australia. Just be sure to keep a record of what you told them!