Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 1 Post By chingleutsch

Wanting to get out of teaching

Closed Thread

Wanting to get out of teaching

Any English teachers out there decide to switch careers? I've been teaching here in HK, but I'm looking to get back into a regular job. Eventually, probably in five years or so, I plan to go back to the U.S., and I will need a job and experience to be able to work there since I won't teach.

I've heard it's tough to get a job outside of teaching unless it's an internal transfer. I have a degree in public relations, but most of the jobs I've come across require fluency in English and Chinese. My former company has an office and large presence here, but no one I contact ever gets back to me and none of my former colleagues can get a response either.

Anyone ever changed careers from teaching? What advice would you give for doing so?

All the people that I've heard switching careers from teaching had to learn Cantonese. However, once I've met an American woman, she worked for some local company/firm and she didn't speak Cantonese. She said she did writing for them. I don't know what exactly she wrote but maybe you could look into something like this, where written English is needed.

I'm learning Cantonese slowly, but no where near fluent. I can generally understand what's being communicated, but it's hard to respond more than short sentences or a few words. But I have considered looking for an English writing job. I used to have to write all the time, so that's always been pretty easy. Also considered headhunter positions, as I once was a volunteer recruiter for a nonprofit mentor service.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Are you going to need visa sponsorship? (Double checking something...)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Are you going to need visa sponsorship? (Double checking something...)
    Yes, my working visa ends with my contract in July.

Without good Canto, and needing a visa, the two "easiest" (which is entirely comparative, and not necessarily easy) would be to try for a Director or Studies position in one of the larger tutorial chains, or human resources in an international school. There might also be a few other niche positions in such places where prior teaching experience would get you enough brownie points for a visa, but you'll probably be up against competition from PRs and trailing spouses.

Some NGOs also provide transition opportunities, but you would probably need to be self-supporting (full time volunteer) to get a visa with them.

shri likes this.

If you have a bit of money saved, and are overall interested in tech, have a look at general assembly. Their three month courses are quite good and due to the shortness of tech people, you are quite likely to find a job even if you go for the "softer" fields like UX design. Most importantly, this stuff will help your employability in the states a lot. The downside - these courses are really pricey (think 10k US for three months), but if you have the money then it's probably a worthwhile investment.

You can work in fnb in the central area since there are so many Expats there that English is usually the dominant language. Depending on where ur living it might be a bit if a trek, it is for me but I do it because I don't want to do teaching lol

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebear:
    You can work in fnb in the central area since there are so many Expats there that English is usually the dominant language. Depending on where ur living it might be a bit if a trek, it is for me but I do it because I don't want to do teaching lol
    But its hard to get a sponsorship visa unless your a head chef or managerial level which is what the OP (original poster) will need after his visa expires in July 2016.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Possibilities

Hi,

Depending on your experience and qualifications we could be looking for someone.

We need someone who preferably has an American education or knowledge of the Secondary & Tertiary system and is knowledgeable about the HK system.

Feel free to contact me if you want to talk further.

Cheers