Any quantity surveyors?

Closed Thread

Any quantity surveyors?

Had a quick search and there doesn't seem to be many QS on this site, however there seems to be lots of positions available in HK.

Anyone here working in HK as a QS, or even in the construction industry?

Any advice about the ease/difficulty of finding a company willing to sponsor in this field would be great.

Cheers

That mean no one here in this industry? No construction consultants or contractors QS here?

Am really interested in what the possibilities for a non cantonese speaking person are in the field.

What would be the reason for someone to employ a non-cantonese-speaking Quantity Surveyor?

cmlg

Some overseas construction companies prefer employing English speaking QS. In fact, my previous employer did. I am not sure how many such construciton companies in HK still do the same.

Brushman, check HK Construction Association :-

The Hong Kong Construction Association, Limited

As I know, Dragages and Leighton offer vacancies to non-Chinese candidates.

Leighton has some projects in Macau while Dragages has projects in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by cmlg:
    Some overseas construction companies prefer employing English speaking QS. In fact, my previous employer did. I am not sure how many such construciton companies in HK still do the same.

Brushman, check HK Construction Association :-

The Hong Kong Construction Association, Limited

As I know, Dragages and Leighton offer vacancies to non-Chinese candidates.

Leighton has some projects in Macau while Dragages has projects in HK.
    Thanks for the reply. Its good to know there are opportunities as a QS.

If you dont mind me asking, have you worked as a QS or just for construction companies? Id love to know if in general it is only senior positions that are employed or if things like RICS chartership are important.

Thanks again.

Both the local and International QS firms employ non chinese people. In the past few years I've met / worked with British QS from EC Harris and DLS. I don't know for a fact but I would guess that HA Breachins, a local firm, is also a possibility. The people I've met were all holding pretty senior posts. To get a working visa for these people the firms have to demonstrate that the posistion cannot be filled by a local person so I would speculate that you need both experience and some degree of special skill which is where the RICS chartership might come in.

All of that said I would very much doubt they are emloying people at the moment. I'm not a QS but from what I've seen the slow downs in Macau and the Middle East are having an effect on big consultants here who service those markets.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidHK:
    Both the local and International QS firms employ non chinese people. In the past few years I've met / worked with British QS from EC Harris and DLS. I don't know for a fact but I would guess that HA Breachins, a local firm, is also a possibility. The people I've met were all holding pretty senior posts. To get a working visa for these people the firms have to demonstrate that the posistion cannot be filled by a local person so I would speculate that you need both experience and some degree of special skill which is where the RICS chartership might come in.

All of that said I would very much doubt they are emloying people at the moment. I'm not a QS but from what I've seen the slow downs in Macau and the Middle East are having an effect on big consultants here who service those markets.
    Cheers for the input.

Yeah I guess the construction industry there is slowing down like over here in the UK. Atleast theres hope that in the future I might be able to land a job in HK without being able to read and write in Chinese.

What about summer, or month long internships for QS?

cmlg

Yes, I have worked in an Australian construction company for few years and quit my job at the end of Sept.

Most expatriates professional e.g. project manager, QS...already settled in Dubai now. Someone told me 0% income tax in Dubai really attracted them to move.

Many foreign owned construction companies moved out from HK since 1997. If you have connection with the top management or someone in QS department that will be easy to find a job.

Good educational background can bring you little favour in construction field. Connection and experiences are more important.

I'm not sure there is any internship for QS in HK. I only know HKSAR governemnt Water Dept/CEDD will offer internship for local born Civil Engineers.

Try to visit governemnt website and find Water Department/CEDD and Housing Department.

Regarding courses in constructon industry :-

Technology Supervision Related Courses

I think if you cannot speak/write Chinese, Macau is another place you can find a QS job.

OR you can find any position in an foreign owned construction company first then wait until QS vacancy is available.

Good luck