Like Tree16Likes

Forced to take annual leave

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Forced to take annual leave

Employer is forcing us to use up our 7-day annual paid leave on Feb 11 - Feb 13 after CNY. Is this normal practice? Their reason is it is traditional to do so..

Quote Originally Posted by sicpher:
    Employer is forcing us to use up our 7-day annual paid leave on Feb 11 - Feb 13 after CNY. Is this normal practice? Their reason is it is traditional to do so..
    making people take a 7-day leave over a 3-day period does seem unconventional.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    making people take a 7-day leave over a 3-day period does seem unconventional.
    2 days... 13th is a Saturday...

your question is a bit unclear, do they class sat 6th February as working day presumably you do have to work Saturday? so i presume the 11th to 12th February is being enforced ?
    Last edited by imparanoic; 01-02-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    2 days... 13th is a Saturday...
    the op my have to work Saturday do it could be 3days

I would have to call BS on that...I bet it has less to do with tradition and more to do with clearing the balance sheets....
    MandM! likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    It is legal to do this. It's common practice for factories in Hong Kong.

See Cap. 57, Sections 41AA and 41F.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 01-02-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    I would have to call BS on that...I bet it has less to do with tradition and more to do with clearing the balance sheets....
    Its more likely that the owner of the company is Chinese and they want to shut the whole place down for a week and go on holiday over CNY. That's no unusual and as most people have indicated, unless you have to work Saturdays its only 2 days out of your 7 yet you get a full 9 days off in a row which is nice and sensible.

Plenty of employers in the UK used to do this between Xmas and New Year so they could shut the firm as do people in Australia. I think the only issue is if it's all your leave - 2 out of 7 does not seem that unreasonable. 7 out of 7 would be.

7 days annual leave that's so little, even when i started my current job, i had 11 days, now it's accumulated singificantly ? what industry are you in? are you contract staff or actual employee ?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    7 days annual leave that's so little, even when i started my current job, i had 11 days, now it's accumulated singificantly ? what industry are you in? are you contract staff or actual employee ?
    Its the legal minimum in the first year. When we first started we only gave that to our new starters - have since increased it but when we were new we couldn't afford more. I think many local companies might feel the same.
    imparanoic and chingleutsch like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast