Like Tree6Likes

$15.000 per month livable on island?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question $15.000 per month livable on island?

Hey guys, I have been offered an internship with a bank on the island paying $15,000 a month. As a foreigner, they will cover my accommodation. Is it a decent offer for a bank intern?

Thank you~

If you don't mind a tiny room within a flat share, yes, you will have be frugal on living cost and eating, drinking and partying on lkf won't be cheap either

Which part of hk island is your intern based? The closer to central business district, the smaller your room gets

I'm sure you will hear from others on the range of salaries banks offer interns - many well paid, others not so much. If they are also covering your accommodation (which the biggest expense for most living in HK), that should be more than enough for a decent lifestyle, provided you are sensible with your money.

I think its perfectly doable if you are single and the accommodation is paid.
    Maybe get some more information about insurance options. I find hospitals to be very expensive, but since I do get the money back I did not compare prices.

What I find is most expensive is kids and the cost if you insist on a western lifestyle.
    If that is not important to you, I think you might be even able to save some of that money.

With your main cost being sorted and that's living costs then $15k is certainly doable.

Your main costs will be travel and mobile.
    Both of those are cheap so you'll do fine.

Just don't fall into the trap of the lkf/soho party scene you'll soon be broke.

wtbhotia and Fiona in HKG like this.

Can't comment on your offer vs other bank interns, but compared to most MNC interns your offer is pretty decent. As others have noted, with 15K plus your accommodation covered, you should be ok.

That is reasonable for an intern at a Bank provided that intern is likely to be hired into the grad trainee programme upon graduation. We also have interns getting $10k a month and no housing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Just don't fall into the trap of the lkf/soho party scene you'll soon be broke.
    It no way enough, a 4L bottle of Grey Goose costs 11K in Wan Chai, how will you live on just 4K, what about the mixers LOL
    cjt likes this.

If you are into the drinking scene just pop into the 7/11 and go wild in LKF

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    If you don't mind a tiny room within a flat share, yes, you will have be frugal on living cost and eating, drinking and partying on lkf won't be cheap either

Which part of hk island is your intern based? The closer to central business district, the smaller your room gets
    imparanoic, I think you missed the part where his accomodation is paid by his employer.
    imparanoic likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast