Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By er2
  • 1 Post By imparanoic

Graduated from the States. Finding job in HK. Impossible?

Closed Thread

Graduated from the States. Finding job in HK. Impossible?

Firstly, I'm of Chinese descent. Non-HK Citizen. I graduated from New York University late last year and am still searching for jobs where I'm at.

I am wondering if it's possible to look for jobs in HK instead without citizenship

Can you speak / write Cantonese or Mandarin?

yes at native level

Possible - yes. Easy - no. Most importantly, you left out key information - language (as jmbf asked - you speak both Cantonese and Mandarin at native level?), the kind of job you want, and if you have any kind of support network (relatives etc).
    In a nutshell - if you are looking for a technical job (engineering, programming, etc) then there is in some areas in HK a shortage of candidates that allows companies to sponsor you - but you won't like the level of pay unless you can crash with relatives or such. Alternatively, if you have a stellar degree and maybe some internships, you could try your luck with the major banks/consulting firms (I know that these have been able to sponsor fresh grads, though how they do this - no clue). It would be vastly easier if you apply with two years of work experience in the US, though.

chris_yang22 likes this.

Getting a visa is not that easy, need to find a company that is willing to sponsor you

chris_yang22 likes this.

First you need to know how to search for a job. This is a skill in itself.

Once you find a job you need a visa. If the company knows how to apply for the visa and what to say then it isn't a problem. If they are trying to write long explanation letters as to why they need to hire you then likely you will have trouble.

Pay is another concern. Many companies pay low and without experience you are not likely to get into a high paying company. Experience as in knowing what to say, how to say it and when. These things I didn't know when I first got here but after fighting to move up, you learn. It takes time.

You need money, patience and motivation to fight the career ladder.

Unless you get lucky and land a banking job w a housing allowance. Given the economy and lay offs, you might have trouble getting this now.

Finding a job in the states and gaining some experience and moving over here after might make sense career wise. To get a better job when you first arrive here.

So you have a degree from NYU & you speak & write native/fluent English, Canto & Mandarin?

You can find a job here (or anywhere), no problem.

Yeah, should be ok to find a job here.