Like Tree35Likes

Petty Theft & Jail Time

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

OP: We don't know. The chances of his getting a few months in jail seem quite high based on some of the comments above.

Understand clearly that in Hong Kong the magistracy/judiciary take a very dim view of crimes against others' property. There is very little scope for emo special pleading. The fact that he's 20 years old and robbed a vending machine and not a little old lady don't score him any bonus points -- although knocking over some tottering old bird would have got extra time added on for sure.

If you really want to go all out for the very remote chance of a slap on the wrist, donate several of your organs and hire a top flight criminal lawyer like e.g. Jonathan Midgely. Otherwise he'll have to take his chances with whoever he can hire or the duty lawyer.

If it's any comfort, see the following regarding certain convictions becoming spent after three years of subsequent good behaviour:

http://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/pol...lties/q4.shtml

Last edited by Kinch; 05-05-2016 at 12:40 PM.

You do realize that you are on a public forum and none of us have magical powers of reading the future right?

jrkob, Fiona in HKG, eIIe and 1 others like this.

Those detention centers to which your friend will most likely be sent are not pleasant. They are totally infested with triads and triad wannabes who want to impress their way in to the triads, so your friend is definitely in for a rough time. He will probably be subjected daily to physical intimidation and extortion(you need to pay the triad guys so they dont beat you). But, as far as I know there is no big risk of being raped as you might be in e.g. the USA. Anyone know otherwise ?

Any lawyers around here that might know the prcoess to these kind of case?

Laundry Vending Machine Theft
    1 Prepaid card worth $200
    20 Years old
    University Student
    filipino
    Part Time teacher

Have you tried looking at the link posted above? A 1 minute search got me to a page with details on procedure as well as information on how to get legal advice.

emx likes this.

My understanding is that Hong Kong like the 'short, sharp, shock' approach.

In a former life, I worked in Social Housing (U.K.) and we worked with offenders, probation, courts, police and so on...the softly, softly approach just encouraged more offending...

In my experience, if your friend were to get a slap on the wrist it would actually increase his risk of re-offending...seen it too many times...a sharp reality check should do the trick.

Last edited by Lord Dashwood; 05-05-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    Natfixit likes this.

We're all assuming that the OP's 'friend' is just them writing in the third party about their own situation, right?

Fiona in HKG, Cwbguy, huja and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by caangelez2:
    Any lawyers around here that might know the prcoess to these kind of case?

Laundry Vending Machine Theft
    1 Prepaid card worth $200
    20 Years old
    University Student
    filipino
    Part Time teacher
    Basically, Uni student - Yes, most of us have been ,and living on the breadline but it does not give anyone the right to steal.
    Who cares what nationality you are, Filipino or not.
    Age - there are people who have been married by the age of 20 so your friend is old enough to know better.
    200HKD - does not matter. Theft. And from a vending machine. So? they knew what they were doing.
    If the student is a PT teacher then why did they not consider the outcome if their crime was found out?

Plead guilty, plead that your friend has never committed a crime before and pay the fine. Learn, live and move on. From working alongside people who began doing petty crime and got away with it, only lead to larger scale thefts and more. Four I know of - these I worked with, ended up getting arrested and sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    We're all assuming that the OP's 'friend' is just them writing in the third party about their own situation, right?
    I figured that , too.

What got me was that they highlighted their nationality ( Filipino) and age ( 20) as if it should make a difference. Nationality doesn't mean a thing, as anyone can commit a crime regardless of where they come from and at that age, they are legally an adult. OP thinks they are still a child at that age then if they are sentenced, time for some fast growing up.
    huja and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    I figured that , too.

What got me was that they highlighted their nationality ( Filipino) and age ( 20) as if it should make a difference. Nationality doesn't mean a thing, as anyone can commit a crime regardless of where they come from and at that age, they are legally an adult. OP thinks they are still a child at that age then if they are sentenced, time for some fast growing up.
    OP clearly isn't seeking objective advice. He is fishing for a specific answer. He is arguing his case before the court of GXP. If this is his strategy going forward with his case, I hope the law punishes him to the fullest extent as he clearly thinks his age/circumstances somehow lessen his crime.
    Last edited by huja; 06-05-2016 at 01:03 AM.
    emx, shri, Fiona in HKG and 1 others like this.