English Teacher looking for work

Closed Thread

English Teacher looking for work

Hi there,
    My name's Alex and I'm fairly new in Hong Kong. I'm currently looking for work teaching English and would like some advice if anyone has any to offer.
    I'm from the UK and am thus a native speaker, and over the summer I obtained a Trinity Level 4 Certificate in TESOL, along with all of the teaching experience that comes with doing such a course.

I've been told by many people that finding an English teaching job here should be fairly straight-forward but the problem I have is that i currently don't have a work visa.
    Therefore I'd be interested to know whether anyone has any suggestions as to how I could go about finding a job which would offer a visa, or else where I should look to obtain private students and put the visa off for a while.

Any help would be gratefully received!
    Alex

Apply for any jobs you see that are full time and convince them you are the one for the job. They should be able to apply for a visa for you then. Have you at least been interviewing?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBedwell:
    where I should look to obtain private students and put the visa off for a while.
    And you post under your real name? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

Nice attitude PDLM.
    Did I say that was my real name? Do the police regularly trawl this website?

Thanks Chigger for a genuine response, I'll give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBedwell:
    Did I say that was my real name? Do the police regularly trawl this website?
    You didn't, but it is trivially easy to confirm via Facebook that it is. And we do have at least one regular poster who claims to work for the Immigration department, yes.

Alright well if you were looking to give me a heads-up, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    And you post under your real name? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?
    along with the 'willy waiving' red dot, that's the second time I've chuckled at one of your posts this week. Must try harder not to....