Like Tree122Likes

Average Expat salary in HK - HK$1,319,200

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Question Average Expat salary in HK - HK$1,319,200

This is from the latest HSBC Expat Life Survey. Just wondering how many of expats actually earn that much?

Titus likes this.

I would say that is about right.

Most Expats aren't brought to Hong Kong to fill a junior role. You hire an expat because you can't get a local to fill the role, therefore you are looking for something special. Skills cost, as does compensation for loss of home-country lifestyle and being uprooted. Senior people likely come with families, again that costs.

Skyhook and OjazosDie like this.

No it aint.

Depends on the sector you work in, i'm guessing teachers don't not earn that much but bankers do.

Original Post Deleted

Does that include someone's full package or just basic salary?
    If it's the full package, it's very believable. Private schooling, rental allowances, mortgage allowances etc. aren't cheap.

Even among teachers; if someone has two or three children taught their a private school (a common benefit for private school teachers), then I can easily see that teacher's total package being over 100k per month.

merchantms, shri and TrevorL like this.

Think that is about right. Directors easily at the 120k level while managers might be 60-80k and MD's are much higher so averages out.

Kiz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yinxyas:
    Depends on the sector you work in, i'm guessing teachers don't not earn that much but bankers do.
    Senior faculty heads at say hkust are close to that amount, as are senior flight engineers (total package) and lead captain rank pilots involved in business aviation.
    Middle and senior management of (aviation) FBO's majority would be on that level of income plus.

Regional Asia Pacific managers of European fashion/luxury brands like YSL are all on that money and more plus perks.

Oh I see, I wasn't aware about mangers in the fashion industry earning that much. I naively thought most expats here worked in the education or financial industry.

There are also a lot of expat engineers, going rate in civils for a good principal (roughly 1st manager level) would be about 1.2mill excluding bonus.

Skyhook, shri and DirtyHairy like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast