• 2 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 2 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By MandM!
  • 1 Post By vmlinuz

Confused about the visa thing...

Closed Thread

Confused about the visa thing...

Hey guys.. quick question.

A company called Headstart is wanting me to do some part time or temporary contracts.. but they need to get me a visa first.

1. Can they really get me a visa if I'm not being hired full time?
    2. If I have a visa through them, could I use it to work at other jobs as well?

I appreciate the help!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

In order to work in Hong Kong you are required to have an employer sponsor an employment visa, unless you have a dependent visa. The employment visa is required even if it's volunteer work. You can only work for the sponsoring company, unless you get permission from your employer and the Director of Immigration.

For an employment visa, the sponsoring company has to show that the job cannot be done by a permanent resident. There is also a minimum income level for successful sponsorship, although the amount seems to vary.

shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    In order to work in Hong Kong you are required to have an employer sponsor an employment visa, unless you have a dependent visa. The employment visa is required even if it's volunteer work. You can only work for the sponsoring company, unless you get permission from your employer and the Director of Immigration.

For an employment visa, the sponsoring company has to show that the job cannot be done by a permanent resident. There is also a minimum income level for successful sponsorship, although the amount seems to vary.
    Unless you're under 30 and eligible for this: Working Holiday Scheme | Immigration Department

Quote Originally Posted by derekhhh:
    Hey guys.. quick question.

A company called Headstart is wanting me to do some part time or temporary contracts.. but they need to get me a visa first.

1. Can they really get me a visa if I'm not being hired full time?
    2. If I have a visa through them, could I use it to work at other jobs as well?

I appreciate the help!
    Legally you can only work what's approved by immigration. They might submit false documents to get your visa approved then only pay you part time wages. Legally other employment must be approved first by immigration (not likely).

Keep looking. Get a full time job and do it the correct way.

Since Headstart will be using you on a project basis to teach at schools it will be difficult to convince immigration that you will earn X amount every month. If however you get the visa then it is Employer specific unless you get a "side visa" as well which requires Immigration, Headstart and your other employer to all agree.

Thanks guys.. But this leaves me confused again.

Many jobs I see say that they need an English teacher who already has a visa. Yet in the documentation for this visa, it says I won't be permitted to work at another company. Are they just not strict about it? :/

Quote Originally Posted by derekhhh:
    Thanks guys.. But this leaves me confused again.

Many jobs I see say that they need an English teacher who already has a visa. Yet in the documentation for this visa, it says I won't be permitted to work at another company. Are they just not strict about it? :/
    There are plenty of potential English teachers who've either been here long enough to not need a visa - after 7 years, you become a permanent resident - or are here as a spouse of someone with a work visa, so they don't need their own...
    derekhhh likes this.

Or they may sponsor you. You never know until you meet them.

derekhhh likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

1. People on a dependent visa who don't have a work restriction.

2. People on an employment visa who get permission from their sponsoring company and the Director of Immigration to work for a second employer.

3. People on a study visa with permission from the Director of Immigration to work off campus.

4. People on a Working Holiday Visa.

5. People on an IANG visa.

I'm sure I missed one or two. Anyway... people on visas.

Fiona in HKG and derekhhh like this.

Hi there,

If you want to work in Hong Kong, you need to have a working VISA and to get a working VISA approved – you need a full time job to be sponsored.

In theory, yes you can get sponsorship for part time but you'll need to have a lot of projects and those projects must be able to sustain you a monthly income of a minimum of HK$20,000 per month so that you can survive in Hong Kong. Depending on the pay from the company, your schedule and willingness to work that would be quite difficult.

The main issues for a VISA sponsorship are;

1. Are you qualified and experienced to teach at any school, that way they can give you a lot of jobs.
    2. You will need an approval from immigration

Good luck.