English Teaching

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zoogirl:
    Why?! Is it the old "those that can do, those that can't teach" thing?

Are the ones doing the hammering English teachers too? They seem to know a lot about it...
    Just some snobbery which seems to be prevalent amongst some people on the boards thats all, Certain posters look down on those that teach and I'm not the only one to witness and notice this before.

Ok, am I allowed to give some advice now?

...Maybe it was just in fun. Maybe he was just being honest. Maybe you were all lucky enough to come here with better prospects than me but this is a tough city to get started in and these are tough times. No need to make me feel worse than I already do

PS The full stop (period) after an abbreviation is generally used in American English but not British English, which is of course the superior of the two
    Good on ya
    You're still "participating" with a post or two in response here - that shows a bit of gumption.

Usually, when I haven't anything even marginally "relevant" to say on a subject, I refrain from posting (well, er... as much as possible!). As I'm not in favour of 40- or even 100-hour ONLINE TEFL courses - being lucky enough to have been able to choose other routes - I'm afraid I'm already biased against, so, didn't reply. This side of the world, it's often down to "supply and demand" anyway.

But, I would not single out every faulty spelling and punctuation mistake that others make in casually posting here coz I'm aware I also make a few "boos-boos" each time I post, too. Moi - another guilty member of that dratted profession...
    Last edited by emmie; 19-11-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: er... errors, every which way I turn!

Why?! Is it the old "those that can do, those that can't teach" thing?

Are the ones doing the hammering English teachers too? They seem to know a lot about it...
    Yes afraid so. Of course if everyone 'did' and no one taught the world would be such a better place without all those teachers wouldn't it?

(I'm in education but don't teach much - though just finished a 16 hours slog over the weekend).

Hey, whatd'ya know... Was awarded a red-blob ('cept it turned grey) for me previous post So, yah - slapped hands...

Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    Hey, whatd'ya know... Was awarded a red-blob ('cept it turned grey) for me previous post So, yah - slapped hands...
    Me too. Ignore this one as I think it is just an idiot giving out random red blobs.

Snap, I got one too!

I managed to post the same thing twice.

Last edited by nestutor; 21-11-2008 at 07:07 PM.

What is your goal? Do you want to become an English teacher?

I've read that TEFL courses are somewhat useful but are no replacement for a Trinity TESOL or Cambridge CELTA course. You learn much more about teaching, practice and receive useful feedback and guidance. I've never taken one but this is what they offer.

Different language centres have different standards and there are different positions available. I read that having CELTA or TESOL does not make a huge difference than having taking an online TEFL course. I assume that this might apply to degree holders who have clearly demonstrated that they have sufficient experience or already possess the required skills. It probably also depends on what kind of courses they offer.

For schools, you should check the Education Bureau's NET Scheme (EDB - Native-speaking English Teacher (NET) Scheme). You can only apply to be a NET in a primary school. You are placed in category 4, which means that you will consider you if there are not enough people in categories 1-3. You can also apply to private schools and see their response. If you want to become a teacher, you can study part-time for a PGDE while teaching.

If you can't find a job as a teacher, you might want to consider being a teaching assistant first. This job usually doesn't pay much, but you can negotiate and convince them to give you a few thousand more if you're good. Being able to run or assist in extra-curricular activities would help, also in apply to be a teacher.

(LOL. I just figured out how to see our rep points by accidentally clicking on my control panel. It only shows me the recent ones. Some people gave me green ones because they thought that other people might have given me red ones.)

The red ones seem to mostly come from strange people who seem to give them out at random - oh and KIA

Ok, am I allowed to give some advice now?

Squid may have provided some sound advice but it was the tone with which he delivered it that upset me. Generally I've found people on this site to be pretty welcoming and supportive but he was just a tad condescending and patronising. It felt like he was just trying to shoot me down and I'm not sure why!

Maybe it was just in fun. Maybe he was just being honest. Maybe you were all lucky enough to come here with better prospects than me but this is a tough city to get started in and these are tough times. No need to make me feel worse than I already do

PS The full stop (period) after an abbreviation is generally used in American English but not British English, which is of course the superior of the two

hello- I haven't been on this forum in a few days...

Zoogirl, my initial post was not a criticism of your writing! I'm sorry if it came across as being one. It was just a tip for you. If one enters the TEFL cert course without having brushed up on basic grammar, then it will be more difficult.

My comment re: posting here, as opposed to posting on a dedicated teacher's forum, was just my opinion and probably should have been kept out! It seems as if you are getting some answers however, and so I was wrong about that! Maybe that is why I "scored" the red dots, kindly countered by a kind soul.

I wish you all the luck in the world. There are teaching jobs here, as there are around the world, but without the qualifications and experience one will be earning much much less money and working more hours, including weekends.

Once again, my apologies for coming across as a forum-snob or just a jerk! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions re: teaching here in HK.

enjoy the weekend!