Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Getting a job in HK, no degree. But I got visa covered.

Getting a job in HK, no degree. But I got visa covered.

Hi I am a British guy in his mid twenties. I am going to marrying my girlfriend soon, whom is a HK citizen, which entail gives me a visa on which I can work.

Now I have been teaching both in mainland China and Malaysia for well over a year now. Which includes lesson planning, grading work, teaching all ages from kindergarten to adults. I do not hold a degree nor a TEFL.

I was wondering if its possible for me to get a teaching job in HK and if so what salary am i looking at? With a years experience under my belt.

To my understanding the biggest hurdle is the visa,but I have got that covered.

I also have a lot of experience and NVQ qualifications in hospitality and some IT experience and a few courses which i finished whilst working as a helpdesk engineer.

Not interested in hearing anyone grate on about being unqualified as there is no difference in someone teaching ESL with a degree in art history as there is me.

Thanks in advance.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

What do you intend to teach?

Fiona in HKG, bdw and emx like this.

Teach at a learning centre. Salary 12-30k. Depends on how good you interview. Average prob 18-24k nowadays from seeing some posts popping up on geoexpat.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    What do you intend to teach?
    I think English would be the best bet as its what I have experince in and is my strongest subject.

I currently get around 12k RMB for my base job in China, but I only work 15 - 20 hours there. i do another part time job in a town about an hout away another 16 hours a week. Which nets me another 10k a month but with around 3 hours travel there and back 4 times a week its another 12 hours on top. Some more part time lessons net me another 2k a month so all in all 26k RMB but this is over 7 days and with travel comes to around 50-60 hours a week.

Ideally being in HK i would like to earn arpund HKD 24k minimum as a base job and do some tutoring and/or some bar work on the side.

And because i pay 2k rmb for my apartmeng here me and my soon to be wife sharing a room in a 2 bed apartment is only gonna set me back another 2k a month if we are splitting the rent.

With so much riding on your dependent visa, are you clued in to the requirements for your wife to show she can support you? Not challenging, just checking that you are aware of the visa requirements. Good luck with everything.

emx and MandM! like this.

Snap - Fiona.

Fiona in HKG and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Palace
    Ideally being in HK i would like to earn arpund HKD 24k minimum as a base job and do some tutoring and/or some bar work on the side.
    Forget the bar work, way too underpaid. 24K might be a tough ask considering no degree no TEFL but still possible if you sell yourself well and a centre needs someone desperately.

With tutoring work, good money is certainly possible but there are a lot of factors that you need to consider. If you have done some tutoring work in China then you should know the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG
    With so much riding on your dependent visa, are you clued in to the requirements for your wife to show she can support you? Not challenging, just checking that you are aware of the visa requirements. Good luck with everything.
    From what I have heard there is not any financial requirements, just 3 months of payslips and bank statements. But i know someone got approved with 1 month and little money in his GFs account. What other requirements are there?

Here you go:

Dependants | Immigration Department

One of the key parts is "the sponsor is able to support the dependant's living at a standard well above the subsistence level and provide him/her with suitable accommodation in the HKSAR". This is sometimes considered to be a salary of 20K / month or 200K in savings (although there are exceptions).

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Definitely possible and then some depending on how well you look and carry yourself.

Remember that you need to be humble in HK. Being aggressive won't work in the teaching world here.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast