Like Tree31Likes

Math Teacher Returning to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    You could make a substantial amount with your credentials as a (part-time) tutor on top of your school salary. Plenty parents wanting to fork out up to HKD 1000,- an hour to help their privileged kids pass their exams.
    Was going to suggest this. I doubt OP would have much difficulty finding students as a tutor and with that experience he could command a premium for his services. Great way as a side income or it could grow into something even better.
    chesslearner likes this.

Why???

Hong Kong is a cramped city. It lies on a biodiversity hotspot, the last place a city should be. The "living conditions" are tiny, and you'd have to fork over all your life savings to make a drop in the bucket towards the price of an apartment. There's little to no green space in your daily life. The air is clogged. The beaches are awashed in rubbish. Our landfills are overflowing. Our government is as indifferent as they've ever been to improving the daily quality of life for citizens (Palace replica, but no footbridges connected to buildings, harbor front parks, or common glass recycling?). And meanwhile more freedoms get taken away...

And you want to come here and make babies so it can be more crowded? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Why???

Hong Kong is a cramped city. It lies on a biodiversity hotspot, the last place a city should be. The "living conditions" are tiny, and you'd have to fork over all your life savings to make a drop in the bucket towards the price of an apartment. There's little to no green space in your daily life. The air is clogged. The beaches are awashed in rubbish. Our landfills are overflowing. Our government is as indifferent as they've ever been to improving the daily quality of life for citizens (Palace replica, but no footbridges connected to buildings, harbor front parks, or common glass recycling?). And meanwhile more freedoms get taken away...

And you want to come here and make babies so it can be more crowded? Why?
    All that is true, and more. And yet..........there is still something special about this city. I understand why some hate this place. But I also understand why some love it.
    shri and chesslearner like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    All that is true, and more. And yet..........there is still something special about this city. I understand why some hate this place. But I also understand why some love it.
    Sure, I love it (and hate it). But it needs less people. It needs less babies. If someone has alternative better places to live, why come and cramp yourself in here, too? Many (most?) Hong Kong people don't have that choice. Their children cannot grow up playing in green spaces every day, breathing fresh air.

There are still areas to develop. Compare Shanghai and Tokyo. They have so many more MTR lines.

It's easy to say Hk did this and that wrong but once you go to other cities then you see it's the same stuff there too. Too many people. That is the definition of a city. Hk is not a suburb.

For parks and green, yes it would look nicer. But a lot of times I visit the parks they are empty. I don't think the people would use it, not necessarily in their culture. Not saying I don't want more parks.

The hiking though is very nice.

I wouldn't say we need less people or less babies. There might even be studies that we need more babies or more immigration. With the people brings money and opportunity so I wouldn't ask for less.

chesslearner likes this.

I have family in HK and would love to be closer to them. Also, I visited HK last month and felt an overwhelming sense of nostalgia and yearning. I didn't know I missed this city so much. HK is where I have always belonged and where I should be.

Thanks all for your insightful comments, I started researching IB schools and vacancies. I'll update if there's any news.

jmbf, shri, Drunken Master and 2 others like this.