Like Tree23Likes

EDB NET Scheme

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hi what else is it if not a housing allowance? I know its not technically classed as that but its what it is for right?

When you refer to interviews I assume you mean with the schools? However, I am interested as to when they interview with the EDB which of course will be before the school interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by PokfooLamin:
    It is not a housing allowance and is fully taxed.
    Most schools start interviewing in May and there is a bump of jobs/interviews in late July/early August. Few (lfewer than 10%) offer any type of interview prior to late April.
    The EDB says it's a housing allowance, so what do you mean?

How do I find out the band of school? Does this appear on the EDB list of schools?

Quote Originally Posted by Roma17:
    How do I find out the band of school? Does this appear on the EDB list of schools?
    You can find out the banding of secondary schools here (although you'll need to google translate the website as it is in Chinese)

https://www.schooland.hk/ss/

Great, very helpful. Thank you!

Roma17 "The EDB says it's a housing allowance, so what do you mean?"

Where does it say this? It is clearly stated that it is a Special Allowance in their documentation/online

Regarding NET job with the EDB...The English speaking teachers here are generally well experienced in teaching abroad, as well as highly qualified, though there are of course some that are not (so much).

Don't let this discourage you. It is completely possible to get a good placement through the EDB but be prepared to wait, fill in forms, wait some more, work elsewhere in the meantime, wait some more, fill out your resume (charity work, relevant qualifications) wait some more. Finally, you too could be a teacher in a H.K. school.

Good luck.

Since this is a rather recent thread on the NET scheme, I wanted to post some questions. I'll be doing my research on it, but thought I'd just quickly throw out these questions:

1. If I'm here on a Dependent visa, can I apply to the scheme?
    2. Is there any choice on school location? I am settled where I am, so would want to work at a school within a 1 hour commute without moving.
    3. I've never worked in a secondary school before. How hard do they work you? Can you finish the work within "regular business hours" (e.g. 9-6 pm)? Is there work on weekends?
    4. I'm "Category 6" in terms of qualification (i.e. I don't have the PGDE), but I have a lot of experience with a range of levels with local students. Any ideas on my chances of being accepted?

I've become interested in this as I'm looking for something more stable with a reliable income.

Quote Originally Posted by pmannering:
    3. All of this is very dependent on the school and the management.
    4. Again, dependent on the school.
    +1. This is extremely important. Conditions between different schools can vary widely. Do not assume any uniform standards. Do your research as thoroughly as possible.

Thanks for the replies and information. Another question: if I have the qualifications of category 6 (again, no PGDE), could I possibly get hired directly through school and not as part of the NET scheme? Or ultimately would it help me to first do the NET thing and then see where to go from there?

Also, in the future, when we leave HK, I would probably be looking for work, hopefully at the tertiary level, but if I had NET experience here (no PGDE), would I ever be considered in, say, EU countries or the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Thanks for the replies and information. Another question: if I have the qualifications of category 6 (again, no PGDE), could I possibly get hired directly through school and not as part of the NET scheme? Or ultimately would it help me to first do the NET thing and then see where to go from there?
    Yes some local schools will salary match a non-EDB NET position to the EDB NET scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Also, in the future, when we leave HK, I would probably be looking for work, hopefully at the tertiary level, but if I had NET experience here (no PGDE), would I ever be considered in, say, EU countries or the US?
    I'm not sure but I'd guess that you would most likely be limited to lower tier ESL / EFL positions.