Like Tree47Likes

A good income for engineers?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Not everyone is in it for the money though.

If you're in it for the money become a banker or a lawyer

Iwanthappylife likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Surely you must take all things into consideration. However, if you really hate doing a job that on average considered profitable, your personal income will be low and you might die young of stress-related diseases. So, take into account both potential earning/employment opportunities and overall enjoyment of the future job. And try, if at all possible, be rational and thing long term

I think we are in perfect agreement here.

And of course no matter how many wise words we spill here, some people will make bad choices, because even with the best intentions the world is far from predictable

I enjoy mountain biking, motorcycles, fine food and beautiful women.

Haven't really figured out how to make money in any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    I enjoy mountain biking, motorcycles, fine food and beautiful women.

Haven't really figured out how to make money in any of those.
    Take part in sponsored biking events, become a food critic, start charging women for sensual services? Man, you'll be killing it!

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Surely you must take all things into consideration. However, if you really hate doing a job that on average considered profitable, your personal income will be low and you might die young of stress-related diseases. So, take into account both potential earning/employment opportunities and overall enjoyment of the future job. And try, if at all possible, be rational and thing long term
    Depends where you live. In a place like California, for example, the economy and the population and the terrain etc. are so diverse there are all kinds of opportunities for small businesse and entrepreneurship . In a homogeneous city driven by conglomerates and a subservient mindset like Hong Kong - not so much.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Depends where you live. In a place like California, for example, the economy and the population and the terrain etc. are so diverse there are all kinds of opportunities for small businesse and entrepreneurship . In a homogeneous city driven by conglomerates and a subservient mindset like Hong Kong - not so much.
    Maybe HK looks like that from a high-5-or-6-figure-per-month expat perspective, and I know there are a lot of locals whowant to get onto the gravy train, but as an outlier to the system I meet a lot of other outliers (nearly all locals - you don't get visas for doing the kind of stuff these people do): those who run organic farms, the probation officers, teachers, merchant marine, freelance translators. Sure some of them are just in the job because it's the "best they can get" but plenty of them have chosen to do those jobs because they WANT to, even giving up higher paying positions in order to get job satisfaction rather than $$$$.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Maybe HK looks like that from a high-5-or-6-figure-per-month expat perspective, and I know there are a lot of locals whowant to get onto the gravy train, but as an outlier to the system I meet a lot of other outliers (nearly all locals - you don't get visas for doing the kind of stuff these people do): those who run organic farms, the probation officers, teachers, merchant marine, freelance translators. Sure some of them are just in the job because it's the "best they can get" but plenty of them have chosen to do those jobs because they WANT to, even giving up higher paying positions in order to get job satisfaction rather than $$$$.
    Interesting grouping of jobs there. Organic farmers, probation officers, sailors...

Shall we throw in red minibus drivers and sommeliers for good measure?

Why not, although the red minibus drivers seem to be the ones which can't get hired by "real" bus companies ...