Like Tree47Likes

A good income for engineers?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Original Post Deleted
    Recipe for miserable life. If this is your experience it explains alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    I enjoy mountain biking, motorcycles, fine food and beautiful women.

Haven't really figured out how to make money in any of those.
    Valentino Rossi did.....

if you want a "normal" life, then yeah TB advice sound reasonable. Pick a career path that you are ok with (don't hate it don't love it but OK with) and work hard in it. I think most of us are in that type of life. You get a good job, get a nice flat, marry, have a kid or two, get nice holidays and retire not too late with a comfortable income and feel pretty good about it. It's nothing bad and works well for many.

That said some people, really do succeed in life by truly doing what they really love. One example always spring to mind for me:

Kilian Jornet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A...Jornet_Burgada

He never ever went in for the money (there is none in most races he runs/ski) but he eventually became so popular and liked that all his sponsoring helps him live a pretty awesome life.

And I am sure many other example exist.

Just to say some people truly do what they love and it works. For a vast majority it's more they do something they are OK with and it's the external things that matter most (Nice Holidays, family etc).

I followed my dream when I was young and tried to be Batman, didn't really work out for me.

True story.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I followed my dream when I was young and tried to be Batman, didn't really work out for me.

True story.
    Confirmed.
    Fiona in HKG, jrkob and emx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    if you want a "normal" life, then yeah TB advice sound reasonable. Pick a career path that you are ok with (don't hate it don't love it but OK with) and work hard in it. I think most of us are in that type of life. You get a good job, get a nice flat, marry, have a kid or two, get nice holidays and retire not too late with a comfortable income and feel pretty good about it. It's nothing bad and works well for many.

That said some people, really do succeed in life by truly doing what they really love. One example always spring to mind for me:

Kilian Jornet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A...Jornet_Burgada

He never ever went in for the money (there is none in most races he runs/ski) but he eventually became so popular and liked that all his sponsoring helps him live a pretty awesome life.

And I am sure many other example exist.

Just to say some people truly do what they love and it works. For a vast majority it's more they do something they are OK with and it's the external things that matter most (Nice Holidays, family etc).
    I am sure you are right about the majority just being OK with their job, but it is a shame isn't it. So much of your life, in terms of time, is tied up in work that for that just to be OK seems a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I am sure you are right about the majority just being OK with their job, but it is a shame isn't it. So much of your life, in terms of time, is tied up in work that for that just to be OK seems a waste.
    I have huge amount of respect for these guys (and plenty of others)

Kilian Jornet - listed above
    Conrad Anker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Anker
    Jimmy Chin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Chin

None of these guys ever did anything for the $ or to secure this or that. They just went to do what they love and pushed it to the limit and eventually it paid of but they lived what I would consider "extraordinary" life and not a life most of us can handle.

But obviously it comes at a cost also in many cases...no life is perfect. We make choices, whats important is to be OK with those choices, not matter what TB, Mat or any other person think of them.

Sometimes it's not even a "passion," it's just something someone enjoys ... just thinking of a friend who dropped a professional job in Taipei to become a taxi driver there (possibly a less reputable job even than that of red minibus driver) because he was interested in meeting and chatting with people from all walks of life.

I agree with ** that this whole thing is a luxury for the vast majority of the human race, which is just struggling to get by, but even in the poorest and remotest village there will be at least one "dreamer" who will jump at the remotest possibility of doing something differently, even if it's just switching from hoeing crops to collecting animal dung for fuel because they're fascinated by the insect life in and around poo.

HK_Katherine likes this.

We have lost the topic starter. On the very first page already.

Last edited by Iwanthappylife; 20-03-2017 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Wrong pos