Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    First day or two, I'm like W(hy)TF is someone looking at me and smiling, do I know them? What scam are they running on me!?

Let me add ... healthcare is better managed in Hong Kong... I've had an experience of public health at both and hk public health pips sg

MandM! likes this.

@shri,
    One day I was trying to find a taxi in the rain and found one. I grabbed his number and have used him ever since for years now. I text him a day/time and he shows up at my house. Early. Opens the door and greets me and takes my luggage and puts it in the trunk.

HK does have nice people. You just have to find them. I frequent many restaurants and service is better because they know me. It took time to get there though.

I think Singapore girls are hotter. For your career, tech recruiting, more companies in Singapore that are truly tech not the fake Cyberport crap that we get in HK. Food is better in Singapore and space and cleaniness are better. Closer to all vacation spots too. But the year round temp is quite a negative. I find the pace in Singapore to be slightly less crazy than HK. Transport is better in HK. Both places feel the same for safety sake. Singapore will always have a place in my heart because that was my first exposure to Asia and why I fell in love with this part of the world. Sporting scene - F1 + Rugby vs Rugby only. If I had to choose I would have picked either one.

shri and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi
    So if my user name is Donald Trump then I am the president of the United States??
    You're also cheeky. Hilarious.

I live between HK and Sin and having lived in HK for almost 3 decades (and am a HK Citizen) ...I would say that Singapore is far better.

I find the food , people and quality of life in general far far better than HKG. The weather takes some getting used to but its not a big deal.
    There is a lot of hostility towards "Foreign Talent" of late and gov't is being urged to tighten up on visas for all expats especially Indians.

HK is slowly dying and fast becoming a third class mainland Chinese city.

Last edited by JaredHK; 21-04-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    TheBrit and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK
    HK is slowly dying and fast becoming a third class mainland Chinese city.
    Usually dying cities suffer from population decline, housing oversupply, high unemployment, and decaying infrastructure. On the other hand, booming cities usually experience housing shortages, high costs of living, rapid infrastructure investment, and low unemployment. Taking this into consideration, Hong Kong is far from dying.

To the OP, the two cities are quite different. Whether you will like either of them does not depend on the city, but on your own preferences. If you state those, people can tell you whether there is a match. And to tell you the truth, they both suck for party life. Tokyo or Bangkok are much better in that regard.

There's no sg wins hk lose and vice versa on this topic. Singapore has always compared itself to Hong Kong. I spent 3 years in SG and I'd say my 1 year in HK is much better. I pay similar housing rent (though SG has got a lot cheaper), pay similar school fees, travel in similar transport (HK pips SG), and pay similar amounts for other living expenses. However, SG is far less crowded, is a lot cleaner, and I love the airport (a little better than hk). I was damn bored in SG within 3 months of living there and I realised Malaysia is a lot better and cheaper than Singapore. Especially with the stronger Sing dollar. Love HK but miss the food in SG which was more affordable and had more choice. Drinks are at par with what we have here in hk. Love HK weather....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123