Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree40Likes

Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Singaporeans have a strong tendency to go into meltdown while HKers are unfazed.
    Only after they have filled up the appropriate forms in triplicate and received permission from someone to initiate the meltdown.

(Love Singapore, but most of their residents don't know that sometimes, just sometimes, its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission..)
    Cheeky Kiwi and chingleutsch like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    Not having lived in Singapore, this is the only one I'll comment on, and what I'll say this is ONLY true when absolutely everything is running according to the script.
    But let anything untoward happen, like seeing a hornet while hiking, a single reported case or dengue fever or measles 500km away from where they plan to meet you in 3 months time, a spot of grease on a dai pai dong table, the ferry running 2 minutes late, or a menu change since they read the recommendation on TripAdvisor, etc., etc. Singaporeans have a strong tendency to go into meltdown while HKers are unfazed.
    Yeah, like when Hong Kongers were all panic buying salt after Fukushima

https://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/...uy-table-salt/
    Stu79 and shri like this.

@TheBrit - Are you saying, HKers meltdown only after nuclear meltdowns?!?

TheBrit and jgl like this.

Both have a rather uninformed and xenophobic population and a fascist government. But they both grow on you. I enjoy both but need to periodically escape to more civilized parts of the world.

Well my move is now to Singapore...so reading this with interest. During visits I always got the impression that Singapore was the Disney version of HK....too clean, organised and full of rules, but maybe living there is different.

Quote Originally Posted by AGxM
    Well my move is now to Singapore...so reading this with interest. During visits I always got the impression that Singapore was the Disney version of HK....too clean, organised and full of rules, but maybe living there is different.
    Good luck. I hated living there for more than a decade. Will not return.

It is a Disney version of Hong Kong. Just don't criticise the government, make rude remarks about the locals and you will be a-ok.

Also behave in public if you stick out like a sore thumb. Because "Smile! You are on candid camera (STOMP)" . STOMP being the media place for Singaporeans to complain from 'a poor NS boy taking a seat' to 'someone breast feeding in public'. Also just be careful of what you post on Facebook about SG, negative views can go especially viral, like what a prick named Anton Casey found out.
    Last edited by blackwings; 30-06-2017 at 07:09 AM.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    Singaporeans have a strong tendency to go into meltdown while HKers are unfazed.
    This story reminded me of your meltdown theory...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...without-a-lift

But a Singaporean would NEVER hitch-hike ...

The sense of entitlement in the Guardian article does remind me of another Singaporean though:
    https://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=i&r...98885761923016
    (just picked up the first google link)

I travel to Singapore back and forth regularly, it is ok for short trips but I wouldn't live there.

Good things = more culturally diverse than HK, housing more affordable, cheaper flights to other countries, next to Malaysia, people are more laid back and relaxed.

Bad = the hot and humid weather all year round, it's pretty small maybe 2 hours to go from one end to the other via car, freedom is restricted in some areas, the annual summer forest fires/smog from neighbouring countries.

Cheeky Kiwi and blackwings like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234