Like Tree45Likes

Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Living & Working in Hong Kong vs Singapore

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old debate but I'm in that fortunate position of being able to choose between moving to one of these 2 places.

It would be great to here you're insight, especially from the people who have worked in both HK and SG.

A bit of background about me, I'm British, 27 years old, single and a recruiter in the Technology industry.

Right now, I'm pretty free to move around, although not sure how many more years I'll be this way.

Both locations really appeal for different reasons. I've read many times that Singapore is boring and for families, and HK is exciting and good for singles.

I believe this statement is a bit outdated and not necessarily true, as Singapore does have a lot going on these days, in nightlife, events etc. So I guess it's caught up to Hong Kong in that regard.

Would be good to hear some insights from anyone who has been in a similar situation to me.

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

I think a big factor is also the weather.

Singapore is hot all year round and Hong Kong has 4 seasons.
    During summer, Hong Kong is very hot and humid. And Hong Kong can get rather cold during winter.
    For Singapore, you can basically wear T-shirt 365 days.

I personally like Hong Kong better because of that.

MandM! likes this.

I agree...

I personally wouldn't want the hot humid weather all year.

The Singlish drives me nuts. Staff appear more lazy compared to Chinese. Too small, only artificial stuff to do. The beaches in SG seem more like a spring break hot spot and a bit rough. Don't like the laws, too strict, male children must do military service, Permanent residence must be renewed every 5 years (fake PR).

Hk has beautiful mountains and hiking. Beaches are nice. Great food options. Great transportation.

Haven't lived in SG. Not interested too.

Weather - HK is better
    Costs - SG is better
    People - HK is better (sorry, Singaporeans)
    Pace of life / Crowding - SG is better
    Cleanliness - SG is better
    Long term career outlook - HK is better (though for your neck of the woods i.e. tech recruiting, you'd better ask around peers)
    Diversity / "Sophistication" / Traveling - HK is better
    Schools / overall environment for kids growing up - SG is better

Depends what you value really. Beyond a certain age, when you're married with kids, then costs of living, schooling, work-life balance start to matter overwhelmingly, tipping the balance in favor of SG.

If your schedule is work - party - friends - sleep plus the occasional travel, which is true for most young people, then yeah, HK wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by shtan:
    Singapore is a lot more diverse than Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by shtan:
    Weather - HK is better
    Costs - SG is better
    People - HK is better (sorry, Singaporeans)
    Pace of life / Crowding - SG is better
    Cleanliness - SG is better
    Long term career outlook - HK is better (though for your neck of the woods i.e. tech recruiting, you'd better ask around peers)
    Schools / overall environment for kids growing up - SG is better

Depends what you value really. Beyond a certain age, when you're married with kids, then costs of living, schooling, work-life balance start to matter overwhelmingly, tipping the balance in favor of SG.

If your schedule is work - party - friends - sleep plus the occasional travel, which is true for most young people, then yeah, HK wins hands down.
    I rather have my kids grow up in Hong Kong. You never know what teenagers are up to, so if they do something stupid like selling hash cupcakes on Facebook, I know they get a more appropriate sentence over here instead of having to face draconian measures in SG.
    merchantms likes this.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Plus in general the people are much friendlier and less superficial; MUCH better, more and cheaper food options ; less pollution and crowds; more space and laid back atmosphere; better and more variety in shopping options; housing is much more affordable and of higher standards; many more things to do esp. for families with children; efficiency, things just work; existent customer service even at banks!; closer to Oz and NZ. And the list goes on......

Singapore is certainly Asia's world city nowadays and I don't know anyone regretting having moved there from Hong Kong. The only regret they have is not having moved sooner.
    shri, Skyhook and MsYram like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Without any doubt... I spent a day with some corporate types, in Marina Bay and just wandering around, waiting in the taxi queues, randomly chatting with people at the coffee shop was some much more pleasant than say hanging out at the HSBC head office.

The diversity of races and the mix of the groups having lunch together / chatting / smoking / at happy hour, is a slap in the face for those who think HK is a diverse or racially integrated place.

As an Indian, I feel more at home. And many Euro types have also told me that they enjoy the social scene a lot more in Singapore.

Not saying things are all utopian there.. but may be I'm a bit biased because the grass is a little bit more greener on the other side (govt mandated color lah!).

Another thing I enjoy about Singapore.... even with Singlish, the barriers to understanding locals is a little bit less in Singapore than it is in HK.

FYI ... my fav singaporean blogger...

https://youtu.be/p6fEsWBQiXI
    Mrs. Jones and Skyhook like this.

I go to Singapore a few times a year for work and I have several friends and colleagues that I will hang out with whilst I'm there.

It's boring in Singapore, drinking is expensive (the whole ++ thing), Boat/Clark quay is nice but don't really want to sit outside because it's hot as hell all year round.

Size and cost of accommodation is probably the only thing I'd put in Singapore's favour but then, if you don't HAVE to live in mid-levels or the island there is value to be had in HK too.

Quote Originally Posted by mwong5426:
    I think a big factor is also the weather.

Singapore is hot all year round and Hong Kong has 4 seasons.
    During summer, Hong Kong is very hot and humid. And Hong Kong can get rather cold during winter.
    For Singapore, you can basically wear T-shirt 365 days.

I personally like Hong Kong better because of that.
    I'd say HK has 2 seasons. January and February vs the rest of the year.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast