Prospect for a Finance Exec in HK...

Prospect for a Finance Exec in HK...

Hi all,

I've really enjoyed reading the posts on this site for the last couple of months. This is not a new question; yet with the new financial crisis situation, the answers might be different. I'm in my early 30's with over 10 years in the risk management & treasury experience. I'm living comfortably in Canada; earning over $110k in basic salary a year.
    Due to personal reasons, I am looking to moving to HK. I have previously worked in Singapore for over 5 years. What are my chances in the current employment market in HK? How realistic is it for me to get approxomately the same if not better salary than I do now? I have my MBA, speak fluent Cantonese & conversational Mandarin (but can't read Chinese). I have started out looking into ads online and emailing my resume to headhunters. Anything else I should be doing while I'm still in Canada? I am hoping to visit HK in Dec. What would you advise I do during the 3 or 4 days I'm there? Thanks again for any advice. Cheers!

I have also browsed this site for several months and in a similar situation... although i am younger with less experience (~3yrs at a bulge bracket in NYC as an operations analyst). i have been in touch with several recruiters, and this may be different for you as you have more experience, but the general consensus is that it would be better if I was physically in HK before they will actively pitch me to their clients. I was also debating the merits of spending several days there just for this purpose but I have concluded that it won't do much good. If schedule allows i'll probably be able to just meet with some recruiters and 'real' interviews are unlikely. i've mentioned that i would be happy to conduct initial interviews via video conference and would be happy to fly over for a final interview but nothing has panned out yet. if anyone else has been/is in a similar situation that can provide some feedback it would be great. OP, good luck with your search!

- bri

Even ignoring the whole economic crisis thing, Dec through to Chinese New Year in Jan are traditionally the quietest months for recruitment. If you are out for several days, you could meet with some headhunters though.

Brinboston & Jgl, thanks for your replies. I'm hoping to arrange to meet with some of these recruiters whose names I keep seeing on some of these finance job ads.
    Brinboston, good luck with your search too. Please do keep me informed how things pan out.
    Jgl, thanks for the heads-up on the quiet recruiting months. It'll help keep my spirit up when I'm not seeing more job vacancies than I would have liked.